Chapter Twentyfive - Late Night Meeting

"We've only been here about what, seventeen hours? And you're already in love." Hazel smirked at me as she changed out of her cotton dress. We both had to throw our clothes in the dryer from the cake. Especially mine, due to the lake water.

I rolled my eyes at her; of course she would say I'm in love. ...Wait, with who? "Huh?" Was all that escaped my mouth.

"I saw you and Bale! You think he's hot. I do too, but I know he's off limits. I'm so glad you're finally doing something about this whole 'I don't date' thing. It was really starting to freak me out." She sighed, pulling on her flannel pajama pants.

I snatched up our dirty clothes and threw them just outside the door ---- I'd do the laundry later. I slipped on my sleeping shorts and a tank top, barely looking at Hazel, with fear of her seeing me blush.

"Where are you going?" She panicked. I was pulling on my boots when she climbed into bed. My legs were restless and the excitement of the party hasn't worn off of me yet.

Oh sure, she doesn't want me to leave her alone when it's just us, but when Billy B. is around, she can't get rid of me fast enough!

I smirked over at Hazel, "I'm going for a walk. Do you think you can handle a big scary room like this all by yourself for a half hour?"

She quickly stuck out her tongue, "Oh shut it and get outta here." Hazel grumbled before pulling the covers over her head and ignoring me until I left.

I didn't bother with the clothes yet, I knew I'd be back in a minute. I just wanted to go for a short walk; maybe try and reconnect with Juliet. Maybe if I spend enough time with her, she won't freak out and bolt on me again.

I made my way to the stables, not really prepared to ride a horse. I wasn't wearing long pants that might protect me from scrapes and bruises if I fell. And there's no way in hell I'm wearing that bullet proof vest again. Also; I didn't even know how to get the saddle on her. All of these things didn't matter much to me as I continued in Juliet's direction. When she saw me, she practically smiled, and that was enough for me.

"Come on, girl. Let's go for a walk."

Michael followed me around the shop all night as I gathered the few things I needed before going fishing tomorrow. He tried his best to make his questions sound casual, and have nothing to do with the party, but he was miserably failing.

"So Annabelle, she's real pretty now, huh?" He asked. "All grown up."

Trying to pretend I wasn't very interested in this conversation ---- I wasn't ---- I shrugged it off, "I hadn't noticed."

Michael shot me that knowing glance of his before scratching his chin. "Yeah... Okay... Well, at least I know you're a terrible liar, so that statement doesn't really work on me, Bale." He sighed.

I closed my eyes and tried to ignore Michael as he continued to wait for the 'proper' answer, but it didn't work. All I could see was Annabelle, laughing and having the time of her life at the bar last night. Looked to me like she was the happiest girl alive there. Surrounded by old friends and family... God I missed that girl. I always thought about her. When I heard she was coming down for the summer I almost left town. I was scared I'd do something stupid, that I wasn't someone she'd want to be around ---- I was mostly scared the city got to her and changed her. It didn't though, she was still the same old Annabelle ---- just with less of an accent.

"So I reckon you don't mind if I asked her out, now would you?" He asked after a while.

It didn't take long for Michael to realize I had stopped breathing. My thoughts rushed; how can he ask that? How can he go out with Annabelle when he knows I've liked her since the day I met her? I wished I hadn't lied and said she wasn't 'pretty' when in fact she's damn right gorgeous.