Chapter Twentytwo - Bale The Fish-Man

"Anything for an old friend."

The blinding sun didn't help much to make me look more sophisticated. I was squinting, probably making odd faces, trying to get a clear view of this guy. My hair was matted to my head and dirt was all over me. My chest was dripping with sweat from that damn vest ---- that didn't help the fall, thank you very much ---- while dirt stuck to the sweat on my face. I looked miserable.

"Hi, Annabelle."

I waved pitifully, "Hey, Bale."

I took his hand he held out and he helped me up. Smoothing my jean shorts and tank top didn't help my appearance much. I was a mess, and there was no fixing that. Somehow I imagined myself as a business woman when I came back home. You know, a hot shot. Someone they'd all look at and go 'Wow, she's going places with her life'. Not covered in dirt after falling off my childhood horse that thought it'd be funny to scare the shit out of me. You have to admit though, it's a way to make an entrence.

"I'd say you look great, but I don't lie to friends..." He smirked, looking me up and down.

"Yeah, thanks." I didn't know what else to say.

"So Bale, I see you're workin' on Jet's lake. How's it doing this summer?" Dad asked him.

While Dad and Bale talked about what he was doing out here, Hazel ran up next to me and started whisper shouting at me. "Is that the Bale?"

I nodded.

"Well what are you doing, go flirt!"

I snapped my head up at her, "What?! Dude, chill, we just got here! And he's an old friend, not a new boyfriend. Leave it alone." I added after seeing the wheels turning in her head.

 She was about to open her mouth when I heard Dad say, "---- ...And of course with the graduation party tonight ----"

"...Graduation party?" I repeated.

He turned to me and smiled, "Of course, Belly. You didn't think I'd just send a letter on my babygirl's graduation, did you?"

In my mind I thought I didn't think you'd even acknowledge it... but didn't dare say it out loud. I nodded and smiled instead, the national response for 'I don't care' or 'I don't understand'. He smiled and turned back to Bale, "I expect you and your momma to be there tonight?"

Bale nodded, I once again noticed how handsome he was. He was starting to look more and more atractive as time went by, and I got more and more embarrassed that I was covered in dirt and ---- of course ---- the circumstances.

"We sure will, sir." Bale replied to my dad, then winked to me. I had a hard time figuring out what that meant, so I just stood there, dumbfounded. I'm sure I looked like an idiot and he regretted it right away, but he didn't show it at all. Instead he smiled and turned back to my dad, "However, I gotta get back to work before I can go anywhere. The fish aren't biting at all and I think it's because of all the plants on the surface. Just gonna remove a few and see what happens." He said.

"That oughta work ---- you are the fish-man after all." Dad smiled.

"Fish-man?" I asked.

Bale blushed and scratched the back of his neck. "Yeah, uh, I work at a fisherman's shop downtown. I'm an expert at taking care of fish, identifying them and all that." He seemed very embarrassed at his work all of a sudden.

I smiled; suddenly I didn't feel as bad about my situation. "That's cool. We should all go fishing sometime. I'm trying to get back to my country roots." I added to his confused glance.

He frowned, as if remembering something upsetting. Before I could ask what was wrong though, he nodded. "That sounds great. I'll see you all later." With that he nodded to us and walked back to the lake nearby. I watched him walk away and saw his lips moving a little. Was he regretting coming to the party tonight? Saving me? Something?

Dad put his hand on my shoulder, making me come back to the moment. "Come on, we better get you cleaned up to go to the party."

I walked with him, peeling my eyes away from my old friend. "So about this party business..." I began, but he already knew what I would say.

"It's just a small gathering of close friends and family. Nothing too big, I promise." He smiled with the old southern charm everyone seems to have around here ---- even my brothers, imagine that. I hoped I would pick that up this summer.

"Well, as long as it's just a small gathering..." I shrugged. Can't hurt to reconnect with a few people, right?

A/N: Short chapter, but it'll be a really good one for this next one!!! I promise! You'll be like 'WTF!!' :)