Chapter Fourty-one - Rooming With Mellisa Williams

For ilovereading75: who is Mellisa Williams ;)

I know this is short, but I figured it's something. Just wanted to write a little something before I went to bed... not to figure out what the HELL I'm wearing to church tomorrow! Yes, I just said 'hell' and I'm going to church. You're lucky Hollywood Undead isn't my ringtone at the time! I'd dance even if the priest glared at me!!!.... anyway, on with the story.

Chapter 41

I sat down the last box on the stained blue carpet - blue, of all colors? - and looked around my new home. God, it still felt weird saying I was going to college. From behind me, I could hear my mom sniffeling, while Hecter tried to reason with her of how good this was for me. If she was going to be sad, why did she force me to go to college? I sighed and turned to face them. As I expected, Mom was dabbing her eyes with a tissue, yet at the same time smiling at me. "I'm so proud of you, baby." She whimpered.
Sure looks like it. I thought, but decided it was better just to smile and give her a hug. Hecter patted my back awkwardly, not quite sure what he should do. I just gave him a smile too and looked at Mom. "I'll be coming back before you know it. Thanksgiving is right around the corner; then Christmas, then Spring Break." I listed off, but when I ran out of holidays after only saying a few, I shut my mouth and nervously tucked a stray hair behind my ear. Knowing I had run out of things to say, Mom smiled.
"I know, baby. I'll just miss you, is all. Seems like I just got you back from you fathers; and now you're leaving for college." Before continuing, she gave a smile and shook herself. "Not like you'll be in here forever though. There's holidays, then of course we can talk on the phone and on that thing... What is it, Skype?" She asked. I nodded, then she smiled again. "Great. See? Everything will work out just fine." It sounded like she was trying to convince herself, not me. Of course I would miss her; more than words could explain... But I didn't want to spend all of my first day in New York, saying goodbyes to my mom and her boyfriend.
"I'll send you an e-mail every night, we'll Skype almost every day - it'll be like I never left." I smiled, gripping her shoulders tightly. I didn't want to let go; I would miss her too much. But then again, I wanted her to leave, so I could meet people, or maybe call Bale. I was so confused.
Knowing what I was thinking, and choosing what was best, she waved her hands around, like she was trying to bat off some sort of fly, and gave me a quick kiss. "We'd better get going, but I love you, sweetie. I'll let you know when we're home." She gave yet another sad smile before turning away and heading down the hall, leaving quiet sobs behind her.
Hecter waved awkwardly, "Bye, Annabelle. Have a nice term! We'll be seeing you soon." He grinned. Then, he hovered for a moment, not knowing what to do, before leaning in and pecking me lightly on the cheek and hurrying off after my mom. I laughed out loud when they were out of sight and closed my door.
When I turned back to my room, I noted the empty bed across from mine; my room mate hadn't shown up yet. I glanced over at the list of room mates, according to their rooms, and saw her name was Melissa Williams. Sounds like a nice enough girl... Course, you can't really tell from someone's name. I gave a dramatic sigh before running towards my bed and leaping up, falling face down on the pillow. I was tired from the flight, as well as heaving all my boxes and lugage into the room up the many many stairs. As I began to close my eyes, drifting into sleep, I heard the door burst open.
"Oh my GOD! This is so cute, I love it. Absolutely LOVE IT!" Someone yelled from the doorway, then leapt onto the other bed, almost like I did. I groggily propped up onto my elbow and looked at the black wavy hair that fanned out around a milky face and dazzling brown eyes. The smile that was plastered across this girls face was blinding, I felt like I had to squint just to look at her. After a while, she finally noticed someone was looking at her.
"Oh! You must be Annabelle Sage!" She piped, jumping off of her bed. She smoothed out her grey plaid skirt and black turtle neck before sticking out a stiff hand, wanting to shake mine. I gave hers a weak pump before she squealed, loud enough to make me jump. "I'm so excited to meet you! I'm Melissa Williams, and this is my first year in college. I guess we're both Freshmen, right?" She asked.
I was blinded by her excitment, blinking quietly as she waited for my reply. "Uh, yeah, I s'pose so..." I said, sitting up slowly.
She plopped onto my bed next to me, "That's cool! You know, I have a feeling we'll get along good. I'm just a good girl from the south, as my friends like to call me..." She grinned.
"Oh cool, me too, where are you from?" I asked. Who would've thought I'd be roomed with another country girl? I didn't hear any twang in her voice, but figured she had gotten rid of it, like I had once. Now my voice was thick with obvious southern memories.
"South Virginia!" She said, in the most northern voice I've ever heard.
"Uh..." I was at a loss; that's not very 'southern' to me. "Where at in 'Southern' Virginia?" I asked.
"Leesberg." Her smiled never once faltered, even though I was sure she could hear the skeptism in my voice.
"Oh, uh, that's...great." I said, deciding not to take this any further.
"Where are you from?" She asked.
"Tennessee." I replied blankly. Speaking of which; I really wanted to be alone again. I wanted nothing more than to call Bale right then, and tell him how I was rooming with Barbie.
"Oh wow, I feel lame now." She giggled.
I raised my eyebrows in agreement as she hopped off my bed and started unpacking her things. Without warning, she tossed a small baggie of what looked like chocolate chip cookies onto my bed. "I know they say you shouldn't 'endulge' on these things in the first few weeks of college; due to the Freshmen Fifteen, but I don't care. I brought you cookies - I hope you like them!" She said.
I smiled, "Thanks, Mellisa." I opened the baggie and began nibbling on the moist heaven sealed in a Ziploc.
"No problem! Mom says the way to anyone's heart, not just men, is through their stomach. I'm a strong believer." She grinned and then proceeded to unpack her things. I smiled to myself as I watched her; maybe this would be so bad.