Chapter Twentyfour - Cake Fights In A Bar

"It's me ---- Ashley!"

My arms were still around her as I stared blankly at her happy face. This is the Ashley that called me a cow for most of the school year? This is the Ashley that made me look like a baby in front of everyone? This is the Ashley that broke my necklace as well as my self esteem?

Ashley continued to stare at me with those wide happy eyes, waiting patiently for my response. I honsetly was lost for words though. This happy, bubbly girl, hugging me like we're old friends ---- She was my biggest enemy as a kid.

"Awe, come on, you gotta remember me!" She said after a moment.

Slowly, I finally nodded. "Yeah, I remember you..."

I looked over my shoulder at Bale; he looked just as worried as Michael did. When I looked back at Ashley, she was now frowning, "I know we didn't get along too well as kids, but come on, SillyBelly," Who the hell told her my nickname? "We were kids then ---- we're both grownups and I think we can act like grownups." She smiled.

I continued to glared ahead, not wanting to look at anyone. Why didn't Bale rip her off of me? Why didn't Michael distract her while I snuck back inside? Why, why, why?

Quickly, I cleared my throat and smiled at her, "I couldn't agree more." I couldn't disagree more.

Without warning her arms wrapped around me once again and she hugged me tightly, "This is great! Oh my goodness, you have to tell me about the city. How was high school for you? We have so much to talk about!" She squealed, taking me by the hand and leading me off into the darkness, blabbering on about how much she enjoyed high school. Well of course she did ---- so far, I've learned she was captain of the cheerleading squad, homecoming queen twice and prom queen.

I looked back to Bale for help, but he was busy muttering to Michael. They both just watched as I was pulled away with Ashley.

So much for old friends...

"I bet Annabelle drowns her in the next ten minutes." Michael frowned in the girls' direction. "I'm gonna sing like a canary and say it's all your fault." He added, turning to look at me.

I smirked, "I don't know. You know how Ashley has been lately..." I had to admit, Ashley has been a lot nicer to everyone. She almost seems... normal. The way she hugged Annabelle... It was weird. It almost made me mad as well. Ashley was the reason my best friend left so long ago, now she wants to be best friends with us all?

"I still think she's just trying to get into Heaven now." Michael turned around and continued to skip rocks across the dark surface of the rippling water.

I shrugged and sat down in the grass, waiting for them to come back. Everything will be fine...

"When you left everyone started calling me mean and... well, some of them weren't that nice." Ashley shook her head. "And I felt terrible. I tried to go to your house once and apologize, but you left, and then I felt simply horrible." She looked up at me, the tea lights hanging in a nearby tree shone on the tears forming in her eyes.

When I saw myself meeting Ashley again, I thought of how I'd tell her how ugly she was, inside and out. How cold, how ridiculous ---- some words I'm not going to say. Ugh, the point is I always thought there'd be a huge showdown, which I'd come out swinging. Instead, the words I never thought I'd say came out of my mouth... "It's okay, Ashley."

She shook her head, "No, I remember how awful I was to you."

I rolled my eyes playfully, "Oh come on, that was years ago. In fact, I can't even remember what happened the day I left." I lied. Since I saw her face, all of the memories crashed onto me.

What made me most angry was she was gorgeous, nice, sweet... A classic Southern Belle. Pissed me off.

"You're so nice." She smiled, wiping away the tears before they could fall. Wow, now I feel like a jerk. She's apologizing and all these years I've been wishing a plague on her.

We sat there in silence for a while, looking up at the moon hanging in the sapphire sky. Tons and tons of stars peeked down at us, winking in the water below. We were sitting on a fallen tree, not too far from where Bale and Michael were. In fact, I could see them across the water now, skipping rocks. That looked like fun. I wanted to join them, but I kind of didn't want to leave Ashley. In the short moments we've been talking, I've found she's really changed. And it doesn't seem like an act either.

I looked at her, smiling. "Being a city girl is so boring. I swear ---- there's practically no animals out there, you can't see this many stars and there's no skipping rocks on beautiful lakes like this." I nodded to the boys.

Ashley smiled, "You shouldn't waste any time then, should you?"

We both got up, giggling, running over to the boys. They looked at me suspiciously ---- I'd have to explain to them how wonderful Ashley is now. In fact, I could see myself hanging out with her this summer. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad down here after all.

I grabbed a small stone from the ground and ran into the water, going in till the water reached my thighs. My jeans were getting soaked, but I didn't care. I skipped the first rock, then leaned down and got some more from the bottom of the water. A couple fishes graze my hand as I did, which made me giggle. Scales tickle.

Bale watched me, laughing to himself. I'm sure this was unexpected, but soon he got over it and joined me, not rolling up his jeans either. Ashley was next, and soon all four of us were skipping rocks across the water.

Laughter filled the air while the muffled sounds of music came from the bar behind us. I skipped around in the water, splashing them all as I did so. We then did a line dance, hooking arms and splashing water all over the place.

Ashley and I held hands and skipped in circles, almost falling three times. It was funny how much fun I was having with my childhood enemy. I found myself quickly becoming friends with Ashley and didn't mind it one bit. She changed, and I knew it. I could see her being a good friend now...

Billy and Hazel ran outside ---- holding hands, of course ---- and said Dad was cutting the cake and we should all go inside. Hazel kept giving me looks, but I decided I'd just explain this all to her later. For now, I leaped onto Bale's back and had him carry me inside. He didn't have a problem with doing so; years of labor has certainly shaped him up. I found myself wondering what he looked like shirtless... No, stop that Annabelle!

Bale, Billy, Hazel, Ashley, Michael and I were all running inside just as Dad was cutting the first slice of cake. It wasn't as fancy as the once Hazel's parents bought, in fact, this one looked homemade... by a three year old. But it was perfect, none the less. The frosting was thick and sweet, while the cake was moist. All six of us kids were stuffing our faces. Some of us were even shoving it into each other's mouths. Bale and I got into a cake fight, and I had to lick my face like Scooby Doo.

I may have been objective to this party at first, but now it couldn't have been more perfect. I don't remember ever having this much fun. Maybe it was because I was with old friends ---- and new friends ---- or maybe it was just the comfort of the south that loosened me up. Whatever it was, I went with it and never once tried to step on the brakes.

In the middle of our cake attack, Bale wrapped one arm around my waste and pulled me close so I could hear him over the crowd, "Welcome home, Annabelle." He whispered into my ear before pulling away and smiling at me behind icing and cake, plastered to his face. I smiled back and took the rest of the cake on my plate and shoved it into his mouth, "Thanks, Bale!"