Chapter Twentyseven - AH-MAY-ZING!

When I came back home from fishing with Bale, Hazel was sitting on the front porch, obviously waiting for me. In one hand she held her cellphone, while on her lap laid a phone book, parted down the middle. She looked frustrated at the book, like it was betraying her somehow.

I hopped out of the truck and waved goodbye to Bale, though I wanted to do much, much more, and he drove off, saying he would see me later. There was something different in his voice when she said so. It was almost like a question, and not just asking if he could see me later, but asking what we may do when he sees me later. Will be act like friends, or will we kiss like we had on the river bank? I decided to let him answer that for himself and only smiled before getting out and walking towards Hazel without looking back, no matter how badly I wanted to.

If there's one thing Hazel has told me about guys is to not be too needy, or clingy, or anything. Just be cool, collected, and squeal behind closed doors. Speaking of Hazel...

I didn't have to ask what was wrong when I stepped in front of Hazel, she answered that for me the second she saw my shadow fall over the phone book in her lap. "Do you know how many Billy B.'s are in this stupid town?!" She shrieked.

I laughed and took the phone book from her, flipping through all of the names. Though it's been years since I've dialed the number, I knew exactly which one it was. I pointed to the numbers across from 'Billy B.' ---- while everyone else had a last name, his name is in here as B.? ---- then handed the book back to her. She dialed the number quickly, not wasting another moment. I could only guess how long she had been out here, looking for my friend's number. Ah, the things she'd do for love.

Dad, Jimmy and Joel were all sitting in the kitchen, peeling potatoes, when I walked inside. Billy was already off at work downtown. Maybe I would go visit him later. All three of the men looked up at me when I entered the room, "Hey, Belly." Dad greeted. "How did fishing go?"

In that moment, I realized I didn't remember a thing from the fishing trip, only the kissing.

The kissing... I sighed to myself.

"Oh, um, it was alright. I didn't really catch anything, just a small fish." I shrugged, trying my best not to hint anything else happened out there. Could they read my mind? Was there a sign flashing across my forehead that said 'guilty'? The look on Joel's face told me yes, yes he knew what happened.

I bit my bottom lip as I watched Joel watch me, neither of us moving. Dad made us both stop staring at each other by asking, "Did you have fun?"

I nodded quickly, wanting to go upstairs now and let loose some of this energy. I felt like I could swim a mile, maybe two, or even run down town, faster than Juliet. "Yeah, I had a great time. I'm gonna shower; river water, you know." I shrugged.

Dad smiled before I ran upstairs and went into the bathroom, locking the door behind me, then sat on the edge of the tub. I didn't even know if I was going to take a shower. I mean, I only put my legs in the water.

Something inside me really didn't want the shower. I didn't want to wash the scent of Bale off of me. The saltyness of his sweat, mingling with the smell of his body wash. It was a manly smell; Bale wasn't a kid anymore. At twenty, he was a grown man now. Though he was grown on the outside, he was wise beyond his years on the inside, as well as funny, smart, charming... So many things.

I smiled to myself as I simply sat there, going over those moments I felt happiest. He took my embarrassment about the situation and turned it to passion. I've never had that happen before. Bale knew me so well, I wondered what a relationship with him would be like. There would be no secrets, which is good. But there was also a heat there. A tiny spark that could turn into a full on flame with just the slightest touch of his hand. Isn't that what everyone's looking for? I couldn't have found it this early, could I?