Chapter Five - Harold Lyttle

Ashley and I sat there, silently, looking at each other. Well, I was still looking at her from the corner of my eye, pretending to read a book, while she sat there glaring at me with a red face. It wasn't my fault that she called me the B word in front of everyone. However, it's my fault that I'm in here; I was the one that punched her.

As Ashley sat there, she kept looking back and forth between her hands on her desk and me. She looked like she was trying to decide something, but I guess thinking really wasn't her strongest subject, now was it?

"This is all your fault!" She screamed; she had finally snapped.

I looked up at her in shock, "I'm sorry, did you say somethin'?"

"Yes, I said something! This is all your fault! Since I got detention, I can't go on the skiing trip with my parents this weekend!"

I almost laughed at her - the poor little thing. Now she can't go skiing? Aww, and I was really looking forward to that for her...yeah, um, no.

"And now! NOW my record will always have this detention on it, all because a word slipped out of my mouth by accident!" Her eyes darkened at me as she lowered her voice. "Not that you didn't deserve to be called one..."

My cheeks flared up, but instead of doing further damage to her face, I looked back down at my book, and tried to drown out her constant whining. While I actually read this time, I got about halfway down the page, before she lost it again.

"HEY, I'M TALKING TO YOU!" She roared.

My head popped up for the second time in shock.

"What?" I shouted back.

"Don't yell at me! It's all your fault I'm in here! If it wasn't for your stupid dad-"

Now she had gone too far.

"My dad is not stupid!" I retorted

"He's probably ugly like you too!" She said as she threw a book at my head.

I barely missed it by ducking, but the damage was done. That's the second thing she's throw at me! Am I going to be forced to wear a helmet every day? No I was not.

I stood up and curled my hands into fists as I said, "You need to stop! I'm...I'm...I'm going to tell the principal!"

The door burst open, and the teacher came back in, sporting a red face and a loosened tie. He looked like a madman. I sighed with relief, happy he showed up at a good time, but grimaced when I heard; "What is with all this yelling?!" He yelled.

That was a terrible example - I must admit - to show children it's not good to yell, by yelling? Not what I would have done.

"I was just sitting here, and she started yelling at me." Ashley said, as she summoned crocodile tears to her eyes and pouted at the teacher.

My jaw fell, as I stared at her with disbelief. She didn't really just do that, did she?

Mr. Hopkins looked from Ashley to me, then back again. "Is this true, Miss Sage?" he asked, calling me by my last name, and not my first. Oh, you know you're in trouble when that happens.

I shook my head as I said, "No! She's lying! You should know that! She is in a drama class!"

"Detention, yet again, tomorrow evening, Miss Sage!" He yelled, before letting us go home.

When Billy came to pick me up, I cried the whole way home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soon after that, Ashley had figured out that Mr. Hopkins was quite easily manipulated. Every time she got into trouble, she'd blame it on someone else and start crying. I couldn't stand it, seeing as most of the time, she tried to blame it on me.

My dad started to loath this girl. At least he knew I wasn't doing any of the things she accused me of. Bale tried to keep me out of trouble, always pushing me in the other direction when she came our way.

Things were changing between Bale and me, too - we didn't hug anymore, or sit too close to each other; it was...well, weird. It's not that I didn't want to, but that it just felt different; I couldn't quite place my finger on it.

I tried to ignore the odd feeling as best I could when we sat at lunch together today. Michael and Billy B. got to the table before us, sitting next to each other, which only left two seats, for me and for Bale- close together.

Michael distracted us all, by doing his Christopher Walken impersonations; he was really good at it too!

"You see," He said, gesturing his hand like an Italian man. "The lunch lady...she didn't give me the ketchup I asked for...so I...had to ask her...again!" He chuckled his Christopher-Walken-chuckle, and made us all laugh to the point of almost peein' our pants.

He opened his mouth to do some more, but stopped and scowled at the cafeteria doors, "Oh, it's him." he sneered.

Billy B. and Bale joined him in frowning at the doors. I had no clue what they meant, until I finally turned to look at the doors myself.

There stood the most gorgeous boy I had ever seen. He looked to be about Bale's age, maybe close to High-school-Freshman age. He had dark wavy hair, the brightest, bluest eyes I've ever seen, and clear skin. He even dressed nicely! He wore a button down black shirt and dark jeans. I had no clue who this boy was, but I was going to find out.

"Who is that?" I asked the boys, but I didn't dare take my eyes off of him.

"Beaver, no! Bale, turn her away, turn her away!" Billy B. hollered.

Bale pushed my shoulders until I was forced to look at them.

"What?!"

"Don't you dare fall for that guy! He may be...okay...looking," Michael looked disgusted with himself that he even admitted this understatement. "But underneath he's as shallow as the kiddy pool! All the girls love him, but don't you dare!" He finished, as he wagged his finger at me.

I leaned forward and bit it, which made his arm coil back to his side. He looked at me with a shocked expression while I said, "Who said I was falling for him? What's his name anyway?" I couldn't help but look back at the beautiful boy.

"Harold Lyttle, but everyone calls him Harry." Bale grimaced at me. He could see the beeline my eyes were making on this boy.

"Harry...hmm..." I sighed. Oh my gosh, did I just say that out loud...

"Aye, Carumba!" All three of the boys yelled.

"What?!" I said, as I turned back to them and gave them a death stare, which caused every single one of them to sheepishly turn back to their trays.

I looked back to Harry, only to see the Head Git walk up to him and kiss his cheek. Oh no...he was dating Ashley, wasn't he...

A special thanks to my new editor madysonnelee, my book is now ten times better! :) She's so awesome.

Feedback is always much loved, so pleasepleaseplease don't be shy! I love anythin' you leave me!