Chapter Eight - Pearl Necklace

Bale, Billy and Michael all seemed to avoid me for the next couple of days. I couldn't lie, I was sort of avoiding them too. I started sitting with Harry at lunch - he said he didn't mind, as long as Bale and the guys were nowhere near. I think he knew we were all fighting, and he didn't want them to make me upset. He's so sweet.
Also, I didn't want to be around the boys because I was planning something. I was planning to finally ask Harry to the dance, and today was the day. I had everything planned out; I'd dress up today and look nice like I tried to do in the first place. I knew Daddy was right about me not having to dress up to impress some kid at school, but today was different. Now that Harry knew who I was, he would know this was special.
I put on my white skirt, and today I wore a blue, sequined tank top. Along with blue sequined shoes that matched. I even wore something so special to me, this showed I really liked Harry; my pearl necklace Momma gave me for Christmas. Daddy doesn't let me wear it just anywhere, but he understood I wanted to wear it today for this occasion. Momma spent two of her paychecks on this, making me promise I'd only wear it to the best occasions - I knew she would approve of today too.
When I stepped back to look at myself in the mirror, I was surprised.
My blonde hair was kinda curly from taking a bath before bed. My blue eyes were really shiny today, maybe because I was so happy. I even painted my nails blue...I've never painted my nails before. My skin even looked a little tanner for today. Maybe it's because I was riding my horse Juliet yesterday for so long, trying to figure out what I should say to Harry. I don't think I ever figured out what I was going to say anyway...
I shook my head, shaking away those thoughts, and taking a deep breath. I smiled too; I was ready.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I walked in the school, everyone's heads turned. Some people even introduced themseleves to me, thinking I was a new kid...again. I laughed every time they did, "Um, it's me, Annabelle." Then they'd gasp and ask what the occasion was today. I just walked away and looked for Harry every time I pulled away from them. Once I got to my locker - to my dismay - Bale, Billy and Michael were all there too. When they saw me, all of the fights and avoiding days were forgotten. Their jaws dropped and every one of them said 'WHOA!' at the same time.
"What?" I asked.
"What got into you?" Billy asked.
"It doesn't look good? I thought this is what girls did..." I looked down at my skirt and made it swish back and forth. I had to admit, I liked the way it did that.
"You look amazing..." A shocked voice said. When I looked up, I couldn't tell which one of them said it. All three of them looked the same amount of shocked.
"Seriously, though." Billy frowned. "Who's it for? Harry?"
I blushed wildly, giving away the answer. Billy and Michael just rolled their eyes, Bale turned to his locker and took a long time putting his books in his locker.
"Well, I'm asking him to the dance today. I thought I'd look good when I do." I stuck my tongue out at them as I put my book in my locker too. Billy shook his head, "If you ask him to the dance, I'll do your homework for three weeks."
He doesn't think I'll do it, but he's wrong. Looks like he'll be doing my homework! "You're on." I shook his hand and turned to Bale, "Do you think I can do it, or do you have a bet too?" I giggled. He didn't answer. Maybe he didn't hear me.
Before I could repeat myself, the bell rang, and we all had to get to class. Bale seemed to run to class ahead of us. Billy and Michael just kept teasing me about my plan to ask Harry to the dance. I just ingored them; I can do this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day dragged on forever. And I couldn't ask Harry at lunch, because the boys made me sit with them. They wanted to give me a few pointers, they said.
"When you ask him, make sure you have broccili in your teeth." Billy said, getting a large fork-full of steamed broccili and shoving it in my direction. "Ew, no!" I laughed.
The rest of lunch seemed to go like that. Michael or Billy would tell me to do something gross and I'd say no, but Bale never said anything. He didn't even look up at me. Was he still mad about the other day? I opened my mouth to ask him, but before I could the bell rang again. It seems to like interrupting me today.
"Go on, puddin' cup, don't wanna be late to ask out your lover boy!" Billy teased, pushing me out of my chair. He took my tray for me, "I'll take care of this, go ask!" He winked at me, very dramatically, before turned away and dumping my tray. They really thought I wasn't going to do this...
I huffed, "Fine, I'm going." I turned on my heel and walked briskly in Harry's direction.
Behind me, I heard, "Oh crap, she's actually doing it."
"Is Ashley around?" Someone said.
"I don't know, but if she sees her, she's dead...we better save her." Then they began to call my name, but I didn't look back. I kept my eyes locked on Harry. Ashley had nothing on me; Harry and I had so much in common. He even said he doesn't really like her that much, she just thinks they're dating. He thinks she's a snotty little brat - which she is.
Hands started pulling on her shoulders; it was Bale. "Come on, Annabelle, don't do this. Ashley will just rip you apart for even looking at him." He said. I looked into his eyes, he looked really worried. Why was he so worried? Didn't he think I could have a chance with Harry? Wasn't I good enough for him?
"Well I need a date for the dance." I justified.
"I-...Umm...I-...I'll take you." He finally spat it out. It sounded almost painful for him to say it. He smiled cheesily, looking like he had a really bad toothache. Was it that bad to ask me? I only frowned and pushed him off of me, "I can do this."
He watched me walk away with a pained look in his face. I finally reached Harry at the back of the cafeteria. He was facing the wall, talking to someone. A bunch of his friends were standing around, so I figured he was talking to them. But once I tapped him on the shoulder, I got a surprise. In front of him was Ashley, smiling and twirling her hair in her fingers.
"Hey, Annabelle, what's up?" Harry asked, smiling kindly. Ashley didn't look as happy to see me though. In fact, if she could, she'd set me on fire with her glaring.
"Oh, nothing. Just um...I was wondering if you'd like to go to the dance, maybe?" It had taken me so long before to ask him this, but I suppose after hanging out with him for a while and seeing how much we have in common, it got easier.
Harry opened his mouth to say something, but Ashley put her hand in front of his mouth to stop him. Her eyes darkened and her lips pouted. "You really think he'd go to the dance with you, cow? He'd have to be blind to take you. Awe, look. She even tried to dress up today. So you are a girl, after all? Or are you just trying to make him think you're a girl, so he'll take you to the dance?" She threw insult after insult, hacking away at my self confidence.
Every word she said was like a stab wound to my belly. I felt a frown form on my face, and I couldn't stop it.
"And where'd you get this?" She asked, putting a hand to my pearl necklace. "The gumball machine?" Without warning, she pulled. The string snapped, and pearls fell to the floor in slow motion. With every thud, a new tear formed. I probably looked like a baby, crying over a necklace, but my Momma worked hard on that, and that's the only nice thing I have. I was saving it for my birthday party, Thanksgiving, Christmas...
"Bitch." She whispered before laughing and walking away. She took Harry by the hand to follow her.
When I looked at Harry, he only shrugged and followed her. He left me...for her...
My heart felt like it just stopped beating. I could hear a few people laughing, while others recapped what just happened very loudly. They sounded fuzzy though. I was crying, and couldn't breathe.
I felt hands reach out for me, turning me away from the scene and swerving me around the pearls.
"Come on, Annabelle, it's okay..." Billy said. Michael said other words of comfort. Arms wrapped around me; Bale's arms. He hugged me and rubbed my back, telling me everything would be okay.
"No..." I sniffed.
I didn't want to be here anymore. I didn't want to be around these people, laughing at me for crying over the necklace. It wasn't just the necklace, though. Ashley insulted me, so many times. I feel like trash now. Why would Harry ever like me? And how could I ever think he'd go to the dance with me? Of course he wouldn't, I'm just a...cow.
"No!" I pulled out of Bale's arms and ran out of the cafeteria doors, running down the halls and towrads the front doors. I didn't bother with my backpack, I didn't even get any books out of my locker. I'm not coming back, I'm not coming back.
I could hear Bale, Billy and Michael all behind me, telling me to come back.
"Come on, Beaver, I'll buy you a new necklace." Bale coaxed. He sounded desperate for me to sit down and relax, but I wasn't going to.
I ran out the front doors and outside. I didn't stop there; I kept on running down the sidewalk, all the way up the moutain and up to my home. It usually took a long time for me to walk home, but then again, I was running at top speed. Even if I was in a skirt, I was fast.
I burst through our front door, up the stairs and into my room. I locked the door behind me and threw myself onto my bed.
I'm never going back to that school. Everyone there hates me, the boys hate me for ignoring them this past week and being mean to them. Ashley thinks I'm...well, I'm not going to say the word. But how long until everyone else starts calling me that? Am I really one?
I fell asleep listening to the ringing in my ears from running home, my heart pounding and my eyes watering nonstop with tears.
I'm never going back to that school...

Poor Annabelle :( What do you think will happen next? :O