Chapter Seven - 'You're Just Jealous.' Beaver's Latest Catchphrase...?

Chapter Sever - 'You're Just Jealous.' Beaver's Latest Catchphrase...?

The next few days, I spent hanging out with Harry. We would either go to his house to play video games, or go to my house and ride horses. We were learning together; I couldn't play video games and he couldn't ride a horse. I was happy to teach him though, I loved hanging out with Harry. He was funny, and we actually had a lot in common.
Our favorite color was blue, our favorite animal was a horse and our favorite movie was Beauty and the Beast! Pretty much everything I said he said 'Me too!', it was awesome!
I did feel bad though, because every time Bale asked if I wanted to do something, I would have plans with Harry already made. I could tell his feelings were starting to get hurt. Maybe we should do something tonight.
When I got to school today, I saw Bale, Billy B. and Michael all talking around Bale's locker. I still hadn't made up with Billy B...he was still mad at me. But he was being ridiculous the other day! I'm not going to apologize to him. He doesn't know anything about Harry, and I proved it.
"Hey, guys!" I greeted when I walked up. I might still be mad at Billy B., but I wasn't going to ignore him and talk to the others right in front of him.
"Hey..." Their eyes all dropped to the floor, not looking to me once.
"What are y'all up to?"
They all shook their heads and said 'nothing'. I shuffled awkwardly, wondering if I should even offer to hang out with them. Bale is probably mad at me for choosing Harry over him for the past few nights. I don't like Bale mad at me, but what else was I supposed to do? Tell Harry no and ruin my chances of going to the dance with him?
I stuck out my chest and told myself to at least try. "My dad ordered a movie today, it's about some kind of superheros who have to save the world. Do y'all wanna come over and order some pizza? Maybe we could ride horses before it gets dark." I shrugged, trying to make up for all the times I've turned down their offers to hang out.
Bale looked up at me, surprised - happy, but still surprised. "Um, sure, Beaver." It was good to hear him call me Beaver again. "After school?" He looked at Billy and Michael, they both nodded.
"Sounds great!" I smiled, happy that they accepted. I went to my locker and put my things away, while the boys stood there and asked details about the movie. Everything seemed normal, and this was the way I liked it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bale got here before Billy and Michael, helping me with ordering the pizzas. "Should we get just pepperoni or do you think they'll want other things on it?" I asked.
"How about just cheese, what if they don't like pepperoni?" He was only teasing, he knew what they liked on their pizzas.
"Oh they can just pick it off and hush up!" I said before dialing the pizza place and ordering three pizzas; one pepperoni, two meat lovers. My brothers were true meat lovers, and so was Daddy.
After ordering the pizza, we sat down in the living room and played Clue while we waited. I liked this game, even though it was so easy. Usually, I can guess who's in the envelope without even goin' my first turn! It's always Scarlet, with the revolver, in the ballroom. Miss Scarlet is just a bad lady.
"So, you've been hanging out with Harry, how's he seem to you?" Bale asked suddenly.
"Um, he's cool. He's really funny, and we actually have a lot in common."
"Like what?" He snorted, thinking 'this oughtta be interestin'. I just knew it.
"Our favorite color is blue-"
"No, his favorite color is red, and if you ask anyone, you'll know that." He looked at me with his eyebrows up. "Take your turn." He added.
"Okay...well, his favorite movie is Beauty and the Beast-"
"You're kidding me right? It's Spiderman."
"How do you know all of these things anyway?" I sighed, putting down my cards to look at him.
"Let me ask you this, Annabelle; when you were saying your favorites, did he reply with 'me too'?"
"...No."
"He did, I can see it. Listen, he's not like that, Beaver. And if you're smart - which I know you are - you'll forget all about him right now." I felt like I was being lectured by my daddy. Why was he always so...so...stubborn!
"I'm asking him to the dance tomorrow. We've been hanging out for a while and I found out a lot about him that you guys don't know. You don't know anything about him, I think you and Billy are just jealous!" I snapped. Oh, there I go again. Bale really did look hurt this time.
"Oh...I-...I'm sorry B-"
"Don't worry about it." He said bitterly. "We'd better put this away, the boys will be here soon." He put the game away before we even got into it before the doorbell rang. I hesitated before running to go open the door; I felt really bad for saying that twice in the past few days. To my best friends! What kind of friend am I?
"Hey, Beaver!" Billy and Michael greeted me at the door. My brother Billy followed them in - he picked them up. All eight of us - Billy B., Michael, Bale, me, Billy, Jimmy, Joel and Daddy - sat in the living room with the pizzas, watching the movie.
Bale didn't sit next to me, and he barely touched the pizza. Michael and Billy were oblivious to what had happened before they walked in; they were just having a good time. I watched Bale more than I watched the movie, trying to see if he was still mad. He didn't take his eyes off the movie, but he didn't look interested in it at all. I think he was just staring at the TV screen, just so he wouldn't have to look at me.

Tonight was supposed to be fun, and I ruined it with my big mouth...

*********************************************************************************************

So, how do you think asking Harry to the dance will go? Me thinks this oughtta be interesting.