Chapter Twentyeight - Neon Moon

The sounds of summer filled my ears as I sat on the front porch. I've never noticed this before, but the country has so much more to offer than the city. Sure, the city has stores, better cell phone service, and taxis that will take you anywhere you need to go... But this. Letting the sun kiss my outspread legs while birds flew over me, crossing quickly across the broad blue sky. These hard wood steps were better than soft cushions in a four star hotel, or a queen size bed. I couldn't ask for anything better in this moment.

Except for maybe a hammock, that would be heavenly. With a heavy sigh, I stood up, wiping the back of my shorts for dust, and walked into the house. It was getting hot outside and a glass of sweet tea sounded good. No one was really in the house. Billy was still working, Jimmy had gone to work and so had Joel. Daddy was sitting quietly in the living room, reading a leather bound book, while Hazel trotted off with Billy B. somewhere.

The house wasn't much cooler than outside, but when I opened the fridge, the swirls of cold that errupted from it made me sigh. I hadn't realized how hot I was. Maybe I'd take my tew upstairs, turn on my overhead fan and lay on the bed, letting the cool air freeze my sweat.

As I gulped down the glass of tea in my hands, standing in front of the counter, I heard a knock at the door. "Will you get that, Belly?" Dad called from his recliner in the living room. "I'm really into this book..." He trailed off, going back to reading. I chuckled to myself and skipped to the front door. The wooden door had been opened and all that held this person outside was the screen door. Dad told me to keep it that way to let the air through the house. I guess this town is very safe.

Before I even reached the screen door, I recognized the warm smile and tiny lines around the eyes of Bale Hax. I had seen him hours earlier, but still, my heart swelled at the sight of him. The smile on my face was unstoppable.

"Well hello there, Mr. Hax." With my left hand I held open the screen door while I held onto the frame with my right; hoping if I held on I wouldn't fly away. I felt light light headed when Bale smiled at me, looking over me with such happiness and care. Something inside me knew he wanted to kiss me, and I wanted to kiss him with all my might, but he held himself back; wanting to be a perfect gentleman. "What can I do for you?" I asked.

He held up a pan I hadn't realized he was carrying, "I made lunch. May I come in?"

I stepped to the side and let him come in, while Dad walked in from the living room, holding his book. He looked like he was tearing up. A book can do that? "Ah, this book is turning me into a woman." He chuckled, setting it down on the table. On the cover I saw the words 'The Rescue'. Before I could ask what the book was about, Bale spoke up.

"I brought the fish we caught this morning, potatoes and some rolls." He sat the very large pan, covered with tin foil, on the table. Once he took the foil off, the room was filled with the unmistakable smell of country cooking. I didn't know Bale could cook.

Dad breathed in the smells deeply, "Ahh, tell your mother I said thank you again for teaching you to cook." Everyone chuckled at this. After a second of standing there, Bale turned to me, "Annabelle, would you mind grabbing plates?" A small twinkle in his eyes somehow sent the message of how he missed me. The sneaky smile, the charm in his voice, the way he glanced over at my dad when he wanted to wrap his arm around me. I smiled back to him before turning to the cabnets over the counters and grabbing three plates.

Bale and Dad dished out the food while I got silverware and iced tea for everyone. My mouth began to water as my plate sat down in front of me. It smelled so good, and even looked amazing. We were all seated, getting ready to take the first bite, when Bale put his hand up, "Oh, wait just one second!" He stood up and uncovered the pan once more, going in with the spatula. When he withdrew it, I saw the tinyest fillet of fish I've ever seen. "Can't forget Annabelle's catch."