Chapter Thirty - Bridal Shop

A/N: Okay, so this book is getting long. I mean, Vamps was about 31 chapters, and it's finished. I'm only about halfway through with this book - you're in for a lot more. (I'm sure ilovereading75 is happy about that.) So... Enjoy the ride! Keep your nose, toes and dirty elbows inside at all times!

Ever since that night at the party, Annabelle had seemed a little... off. Maybe it was just my imagination, but it was almost like she was growing more distant. When I invited her to go fishing with me this morning, she came along, but so far she's been silent, looking deep in thought about something. Some part of me knew it was because of what I asked her; if she would go steady with me. I was so stupid to do that. I mean, we've only known each other ---- in the time she's been here ---- for two weeks or so.

I watched as she reeled in her line, staring blankly down at the water. Seeing this as something to break this deafening silence with, I cleared my throat and said, "You catch anything, Beaver?"

Annabelle smiled to herself at the use of her old nickname. "I think so... Knowing me, it's probably a shrimp."

"There aren't even any shrimp around here."

"Exactly." We both laughed at this.

But the laughing didn't last long. Annabelle went back to winding her line back up on her pole, while I waited for something to snag at mine. The sound of chirping birds rang over head of us, trying their best to break the silence. The silver water in the newborn sun's glare rippled a harmonious rythem. It sort of reminded me of The Little Mermaid, when the animals were making music, trying to make Eric kiss Ariel. I know, I'm just a little kid on the inside.

I peeked out of the corner of my eyes at Annabelle, who was now frowning at the ground, not doing anything at all. Before I finished gathering my words to ask what was wrong, Annabelle threw down her pole and jumped onto me. Her lips quickly found mine and never once parted. She was kissing me like she hadn't seen me in months, years, decades. Like I was a long lost lover.

I found myself chuckling and trying to calm her down, pulling her down gently and trying to ask what this was all about. She only shook her head and leapt back up. Then she said something that surprised me; "I'm sorry, Bale."

It came out in sort of a sob, which made me worried now. What was this? Why was she sorry? Is this still about her leaving Tennessee several years ago? Is she still upset about that? I forcefully pulled her down now, keeping a strong grip on her so she couldn't move. Her big blue eyes were brimming with tears, and it was more than enough to rip at my heart. "Annabelle, what do you have to be sorry for?"

Her eyes quivered between mine, gathering more and more moisture as the moment wore on. Finally, they spilled. "The night after the party, I had a dream that Harry kissed me and told me he loved me. I don't know what it was about! I don't want that, I want you, I don't care about Harry!" She wailed, trying to speak as quickly as possible.

I smiled, "Good Lord, Belly, slow down." I reached my thumbs out and gently wiped away her tears. "Now, tell me what this is all about. A dream? About Harry?" This was almost enough to make me drop to the ground laughing. That's my Annabelle, feelin' guilty over a dream. I remember as kids if she even scratched the truck, she'd run to her dad and start crying, apologizing.

Annabelle nodded.

"Baby," I chuckled. "I couldn't care less if he was in your dream. All I know is I'm here, in your life... And I want it to stay that way for a while."

She reached up and wiped her eyes as she nodded again, looking like a small child. I leaned down and kissed her on the lips, wanting them back on mine. Annabelle didn't waste a moment and jumped onto my chest again, wrapping her legs around my sides so I had to carry her, making me laugh again and kiss her all the more deeply.