Chapter Forty-Eight - Surprise!!

My pillow buzzed, which wasn’t right. I frowned, “Stop. It.” I muttered into my pillow case. When it didn’t stop, I punched it. “Cut it out!”

Buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz

I sat up quickly and glared down at it. “What is your problem?” I growled. Finally, I realized my phone was under it, and it was ringing. Thankful that Melissa was asleep; I quietly slipped the phone out from under my pillow and held it to my ear. “Hello?” I whispered. It was only nine o’clock, but I’m sure it was safe to say the both of us liked our sleep.

My heart fell slightly when I heard my father’s voice. “Hey, Silly Belly, how are you, honey?” He asked happily.

I was happy to hear from him, of course, but I had been hoping it was Bale. “Uh, I’m good, Dad, how about you?”

“Eh, I’m alright.” I practically heard him shrug as he said it. He then cleared his throat and instantly sounded more upbeat. “So, honey, your momma and I have a present for you.”

“What is it?”

“Well, I can’t right tell you, now can I?” He snorted at my question, as if this should have been obvious. Oh how silly of me; you bring up a surprise, only so I can die over that too for the next couple weeks before I can come home. Even then, I’ll be going to Mom’s, not Tennessee.

“Okay,” I sighed.

“What’s wrong, sugar?” Concern was in his voice, and I could tell he would see right through that ‘I’m tired’ excuse we all tell from time to time.

“Bale and I aren’t doing so good, I think.” It was hard to say it, but I knew it was true.

“Oh…” He instantly sounded very awkward. This was a mother’s topic, we both knew that. Father’s wanted you to remain untouched your whole life, and so hearing you and your fiancé were breaking up was just heaven. However, hearing your daughter is going through heartbreak…that’s something every father would pass on. “I’m sorry, sweetheart…is there anything I can do?” He tried desperately.

I shook my head, holding back the tears as best as I could. “No, it’s okay. Everything will be fine…everything will be…okay.” I repeated the words Hazel had told me, like I’ve been doing ever since she hung up to find Bale.

“Well…would you like me to tell you what your surprise is? Maybe that’ll make you feel better?” He asked, hopeful.

I gave a watery chuckle, “Sure, Dad, what is it?”

“Can you sit down and, like, stop humming and crap?” Melissa grumbled. “You look like you just found out you have super powers.”

I couldn’t stop, and she couldn’t make me unless she duct taped my mouth shut, tied me to a chair, and didn’t feed me for three days. Since that wouldn’t be happening – no duct tape – I continued to smile non-stop and danced around my room, singing songs to myself and throwing clothes into a suitcase that laid open on my bed.

Melissa growled and rolled out of bed, knowing I wasn’t going to stop any time soon. “Well, you might as well tell me why you’re so happy.” She sighed.

I spun on my heel and faced her, smiling down at her. “I’m happy,” I began, “because a woman in love is soon going to be reunited with the man she loves.”

Her face lit up, “You’re gonna see your…what is he?”

“Fiancé,” I grinned.

Her jaw dropped. Before she could respond, I went straight back to packing, singing anything that came to mind. I think I even sang the Pillow Pet theme song a few times.