(b) ryeji : birthday gift

published april 25, 2023. 2930 words
yeji pov.

It was Ryujin's birthday and what had I gotten her? Nothing. Absolutely nothing! The leader of the group and the girl who has secret feelings has no gift for the birthday girl. I don't wanna use the excuse of how I've, or more, we've been busy. I have no excuse! This is Ryujin we are talking about. It is sickening to me. She doesn't know yet. Maybe it isn't too late.

So it is at the point where the other girls are putting their bags and gifts and everything else on the table for the time where she can open them. We were throwing a surprise party. Ryujin was out with her family for the time-being. She was over at their place for a while, which is also another reason why I'm so slow. I had enough time!

I was just sitting in the living room. I was acting as if I had a gift already. That is why I didn't go over there with them. Maybe it would be a surprise. I don't know. I think I'm just lazy right now.

I was in the middle of my TV show when Lia shouts, "Yeji unnie!" I quickly turned over, startled. Lia was in the kitchen. "You got a gift for Ryujin?"

"Yes...?" I had lied to her face. I don't. But I will. I think.

Lia widens her eyes. "Okay. Well, she's coming back tonight," repeats in my head. Ryujin. Is. Coming back. Tonight? Tonight! Oh. Why am I wasting time? Why have I been?! I'm so careless! In my head, I was just groaning. I am so exhausted. Have I not thought about Ryujin? No. I have. Just not about her birthday.

I'm not at all respectful. I need to think of something!

-

Ryujin was unlocking the front door. We were sitting in silence, in the dark. Once she opened it, we would shout something along the lines of 'happy birthday'. We were all surrounding the door, but Yuna was the only one sitting and Lia was going to turn on the lights.

Ryujin opened the door. Lia turned on the lights. We shouted, "Happy birthday, Ryujin!" It was only a few hours until the next day.

She gasped, "Guys!" Her face was in utter shock. She then smiled, closing her agape mouth. She stepped in. Chaeryeong offered to take her bags.

"Happy birthday, Ryujin!" Yuna approached her, giving her a hug. We all soon did as she expressed her gratitude.

The room was filled with smiles. Especially Ryujin's whisker dimples showing. Those things are so cute. It was truly joyful. I was so happy for Ryujin, especially. We didn't get her a cake because she specified she would eat that with her family. Of course, Chaeryeong had made her one anyway; I just found out. We decided to eat it later because Ryujin was already stuffed with cake and treats. She needed a break.

"How was it with your family, Ryujin?" Lia asks. We all sat around the table. We were eating snacks we had bought earlier. I was next to Ryujin. Hehe. I didn't eat anything sweet.

"It was so fun. I would tell you all about it, but you'd get jealous," Ryujin joked around. It sent the room into laughter. "What?! Seriously. I missed my parents." She grinned. She looked so pretty. Did I mention that she had dressed up for this special day? She is so magnificent!

"Hmm, yeah. You're lucky," Yuna comments. She purses her lips before eating her Cheetos.

"Heh, I know." Ryujin takes a look around. "Who got me the best gift?!"

I did.

Will.

She then stood up. We were going to the kitchen to open the gifts, it seemed like. "Let's go open them!" Ryujin shouts after the girls continuously repeat, 'me'. Ryujin and I were left behind as the other girls rushed away to the kitchen. She stopped as I didn't move. "Hey," she said to me. "Let's go, Yeji unnie." She had her hand out for me to take. I took it and got up.