₆.₆

⋄⋱∞◃⊱◐⊰▸∞⋰⋄

⋄⋱∞◃⊱◐⊰▸∞⋰⋄

At the door slam, Jaejin can't help but jump.

Almost hesitantly, he peers around the corner to see you sitting on the step by the front door, fumbling with the laces on your shoes.

"Hey, are you doing okay?"

Without much of a word, you turn slowly and give him a glare of the highest degree before throwing your shoe across the small space between the step and the door, a startling clatter of noise causing Jaejin to flinch as it falls. Jaejin smiles nervously before slowly leaning back and trying to focus on stirring his batter for his cookies. But he can't help but peer at Yen from the corner of his eye as she pulls off her other shoe and practically stomps to her room, muttering incoherent things under her breath.

And successfully leaving Jaejin in bewildered silence.

That is until a high-pitched laugh from his phone cuts through the insufferable quiet. Rolling his eyes he tries his best to mask his smirk as he resumes his stirring, Mijeong practically keeling over from laughter just behind his screen.

"Seriously, what could be funny?" Jaejin sighs. "She might as well hate me now."

"Oh come on, Jaejin. She doesn't hate you."

"Oh yeah? Then what was that just now?"

Now it's Mijeong's turn to roll her eyes.

"You don't know how to deal with emotions, do you?"

Jaejin gasps in high offense at the insinuation and Mijeong can't help but smile at his dramatics.

"It's not that at all."

Mijeong raises her brow before disappearing from the screen for a moment as she reaches for something in the distance. When she speaks next, her voice is muffled, almost as though she were speaking from miles away.

"Oh really. Then what is it?"

Jaejin hesitates before speaking next, and when Mijeong reappears she's able to catch a glimpse of his conflicted expression before he buries it behind the growing tendrils of his hair, focusing on the batter instead.

"I just don't understand how to comfort her."

Mijeong knows why he won't show her his expression. And at the thought, she can't help but smile bitterly to herself.

As if she hasn't seen that expression before.

As if it hasn't torn her heart to pieces thousands of times over.

"It's not like before. I mean, she's different, changed."

Pushing back the rise of bile in her throat, Mijeong leans back, pulling her knees up to her chest as she looks up at her phone screen.