₇.₆

⋄⋱∞◃⊱◐⊰▸∞⋰⋄

⋄⋱∞◃⊱◐⊰▸∞⋰⋄

All of our lives we search for something.

Something to fill the void, something to give our life meaning.

Staring at each other from across the stage, Yen wonders if this is what she's been searching for. If he is her safe haven, her shelter from the storm, the bane of her existence. When she is near him, it's not so hard to believe that she'll be okay. That the wasteland isn't as barren as she was led to believe and if she allowed herself to hold on to him, if only for a moment; the darkness would stop closing in.

Is that what it feels like to fall in love? To want to give up your everything to another and pray they would be willing to give it back?

Yen has been so terrified of the feeling, so terrified of breaking from the fall, that she had forgotten just how much it can turn your world upside down the moment someone manages to become a part of your world. And there he stands, his heart open and ready to accept her, if only she would let him in.

Is it such a naive thought to think they were made for each other?

They have been hurt for too long, they have been wandering lost for so long, that at some point, they had begun to forget what it was they needed. They had begun to forget how it felt to lean on someone else, to allow them to shield them from the storm that had once cost them their happiness. Perhaps they felt they no longer deserved it, perhaps their darkness had been born of their own weakness and volition, but perhaps that is true of all of us when we begin to feel as though we are not enough. Perhaps that is the cost we pay for the fragile yet beautiful notion that is our humanity.

And yet, despite the pain and the cost, they may well be the luckiest ones.

For they were able to find each other.

Amidst the chaos, amidst all of the people and all the noise, somehow the two who were the most lost found each other. And once they did, they held on tight to that string tying their hearts together. They followed it to the other, leaning on the other so that they wouldn't have to feel that numbing cold anymore. For if they were together, the world outside was less loud and unforgiving, and that was enough for them.

Was it fate?

Was it destiny?

Yen doesn't know if she believes that. Even if he is her destiny, and they were connected by some invisible string, she can't find it within herself to believe that is the reason why her heart calls to him. It was always his, but it was not because someone told her it was so, it was because she chose to give it to him.

She chose him, just as he chose her.

As the music begins, the crowd, the fear, the pressure, none of it seems to matter, because he is there to catch her if she falls. Just as he's always been, just as he promised to be, just as he will continue to do for the rest of their lives.