Chapter 17: Secrets Keep Us Close

After the pageant, Luke was kind enough to give me a lift home. I was silent for most of the way there and when I got inside, Josh and Lily bombarded me with hugs. My parents congratulated me but since I was so tired, I just decided to go to bed but my mind wouldn’t relax. What was I going to do?

I promised everyone that I’d hold out until the end of the year. Its was only November, and I still hadn’t shot Victoria Secret.

I had to get away, go on a holiday or throw myself into my work. I could not let anybody in, unless absolutely necessary.

I eventually was able to fall asleep to only be rudely awoken by my alarm, a couple hours later.

I slumped out of bed, dragging my feet to the bathroom. I was too tired to put any effort into my outfit. So I just put my hair in a messy bun and went downstairs to have breakfast. I could change later.

As I gradually made my way down the stairs, I did not feel well. When I opened the door to the kitchen. I found my parents making their breakfast.

I tiredly bid them good morning and put some bread in the toaster. When they popped, I generously spread a good amount of peanut butter on them.

As I was making my way to the dinning room, to enjoy my breakfast. Both my mum and dad were giving me strange looks. I waited for them to say something, but they kept quiet.

“What?” I blurted out, getting sick of waiting for them.

“You have never had so much bread.”

I looked down at my plate. “It’s not that much.”

“For a model it is.”

I stared at them in disbelief, were they really saying this to me. I ignored their comments and continued into the dinning room, only to find Lola sitting there. Oh great, what did I have to do now.

“Morning Alice.”

“Morning.” I said taking my seat across from her.

She looked up from her phone. "Are you excited?”

“For what? I’m sorry, I’m really tired.”

“Alice, we are flying to New York in two days.”

“When did you tell me that?”

“Last night.” I nodded, implying I new what she was talking about and took a large bite out of my toast. Lola’s eyes bulged. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?” She asked, grabbing the plate.

“What?”

“You can’t eat this. Way to many calories, especially since the show is so soon.” I groaned. All I wanted was to eat my toast, I am allowed to indulge.

“Well then what am I meant to eat?”

“Its too late now, I booked you a session with your personal trainer in an hour. So you shouldn’t eat anyway.” I scowled at Lola, was she serious. I am hungry, why can’t I eat.

“What about school?”

“You’ll just be a little bit late.”

“Now go get ready, we need to get you to the gym.” I nodded, obediently and made my way up the stairs.

I quickly changed into my workout gear, and hopped into the Lola’s car. “So how long am I going to be here?”

“Well, I booked a 2 hour session, so we’ll see how we go.”

“Why don’t you ever let me have a say in my exercise?” I complained.

“Alice, if it were up to you, you wouldn’t workout. You would just sit around and relax.”