Chapter 29: Home Sweet Home

I looked out of the wall-covered glass window to see a large plane turning down the runway. As it took its position at the end, it began to speed up, it was going so fast that it started to lift it’s wheels off of the ground. The plane soared upwards, and I followed its flight until it  disappeared into the clouds. Leaving me nothing else to stare at, other then the blue and white expanse.

“Now boarding flight Q37625.”

The announcement brought me back to reality. I looked up to already see Luke and Lola in line for boarding. Not caring, I casually got up and put myself in the line.

I had missed the first call for first class, so I was swamped in the middle of those travelling economy. There were families with crying kids, couples half asleep, singles with headphones in their ears and girls with very uncomfortable looking shoes on.

Since I was so far back in the line, it was going to take a while. Instead of just enjoying the slow steps forward, I was tapped on the shoulder.

I turned around to be greeted by two girls that looked to be in their late teens. The one to the left of me was dressed in a leather pant, tall heels and her brown roots had begun to show in her bleached hair. While the other was a few inches taller, had coal black hair and was sporting a tight fitted maxi dress.

“Yes?”

“Hi.” The taller of the two said.

“Hi.”

“You’re Kayla, right?” I nodded. “Oh my god, I knew it!” The two squealed quietly. I couldn’t help but let out a short giggle at their reaction.

“Are you guys going to be comfortable in those, I mean it’s a long flight?” I asked them.

The two of them looked down at themselves, as if oblivious to what they were wearing. “Yeah. I mean, you want to look your best.” The other girl answered.

“Um…Sure.”

“Well aren’t you dressed a bit formal for the airport as well.” She joked.

I also looked down to observe my outfit. “I guess we all have our own opinion, I like being practical, with my loose tank top and jeans.”

I chatted with them for a little while longer, trying not to get worked up over anything. When it was my turn, I proceeded to the air hostess checking in the passengers, handed her my ticket, smiled and made my way on to the plane.

“You certainly took your time.” Lola said, as I sat next to her in the aisle seat.

“Yeah, what took you so long? We were worried you had forgotten to get in line.” Luke asked, from the other aisle seat across from me.

“I just went slowly.”

“Fair enough.”

We let the conversation drop, and allowed for the rest of the passengers to pile in. This time I tried to cover my face, so nobody would recognise me, and take my picture. All I wanted to do was have a nice long, relaxing flight.

The seatbelt sign flashed on, and the air hostesses came out to show us the evacuation procedure. Since I have been flying so much, I tend to avoid listening to them.

They quickly finished up and then we began heading down the runway. As we began to pick up speed, I held on to the edge of my seat. I just wanted the take-off to be over.

The wheels tucked back under the plane and we were now ascending, it took another ten minutes until we were at cruising level, before I released my grip.