Chapter 43: Carnival Cruelty

"What do you mean I'm going to be in Los Angeles on my birthday?!" I screamed into the phone. "No. I'm not going."

I heard Lola sigh. "Alice there is no arguing. Victoria's Secret booked a showing party and you have to be there."

"No." I said again. "I am not missing my party! Do you realise how many celebrities are flying in? I can't just cancel."

"Alice be reasonable. You signed a contract. You have to honour your commitment."

I let out a long breath. "But I wanted to have a viewing party with Shay and Sami..." I whined.

"You'll be with the angels." She tried to reason.

"But all of the angels are in Australia. How do you expect us all to just leave? Haven't they thought of this?"

"Well as we speak, I am emailing Victoria's Secret Headquarters. I'll let you know what they have to say. But don't get your hopes up."

At least she was trying. "Okay, thanks Lola." I hung up the phone, feeling deflated. I could not miss my party. I had over 400 guests coming. What was I supposed to say? 'Sorry, can you all go home. I'm busy.' Yeah that would go down well. I put my head in my hands, not wanting to face the prospect of cancelling. Ah, it was so frustrating.

Not wanting to give myself a pity party, I dropped my hands and faced what was in front of me. I was currently at a running track, waiting for Lewis. He had asked me to run time trials with him. So, here I was, 5am on a Thursday morning, waiting.

Since I was not the most patient person, I checked my phone. 5:06. He was late. I continued to stare at the entrance to the track, when I finally saw Lewis. He had a protein shake in one hand and a black gym bag slung over his shoulder. "It's about time." I hollered across the track. "I was beginning to think you forgot."

I got up from my spot on the bleachers and greeted him with a hug. "Yeah, sorry." He said, pulling away. "Slept in." I giggled.

"It's all good." I said, leading him over to my bag. "So what did you have in mind for today?"

He smiled. "Well first I need to do my warm up, so you are welcome to watch or you can run around the track. It's up to you." 

"Well my manager would kill me if she knew I had an opportunity to do exercise and passed it up. So..."

"I see." He laughed. "So are you ready for tonight?" He questioned, taking a seat next to me.

I let out a sigh. Tonight was the carnival. Tonight was the night where I had to kiss hundreds of guys. "I'm not particularly excited."

He took another slug of his protein shake. "Yeah, but I don't get why you don't just pull out."

"Because I am trying to prove something." I retaliated, eyeing his drink. "Lewis?" He lifted his head from searching through his bag. "Can I try some?"

His face broke out into a smirk and handed me the clear bottle. I took it with my two hands and raised it to my lips. I took a sip of the white liquid, my eyes bulging immediately. "Good?" Lewis laughed.

"Ew." I said, spitting out the mixture. "How do you drink that? It tastes like cardboard."

"Says the girl high on vegetable smoothies, they are the most blandest things imaginable." I glared at him. He had a point, but I wasn't going to admit that to him.

We both stared at each other for a good few seconds before succumbing to giggles. The two of us zipped up our running jackets and got to work. While I ran around the 400m track, Lewis began warming up. He had told me over the phone, that his coach was taking his wife on an anniversary trip where he won't be back until Monday, so here I was, helping Lewis.