Chapter 41: Let the Festivities Begin

"Well done." My dad whispered into my ear. I couldn't help but grin. He was proud of me. I stayed in his grasp for a little while longer until I heard a cough being cleared. I looked up to see Luke standing behind my mum.

"Hi." He said. I looked at him as if he was out of place. You could sense the odd feeling within the room. My family noticed it before I did and congratulated me again, before making their way out of the room - leaving Luke and I alone. "Alice-"

"Don't." I said, cutting him off. "I know why you are here and I don't want to hear it."

"No Alice, I didn't come to ask for another chance. I know how I can make it up to you." This made my tense expression soften. What did he just say?

"And what did you have in mind?"

He let out a breath, relieved that I was hearing him out. "Next week is the last week of school and the annual end of year festival is going on, on Thursday."

"Yeah?" I questioned. "So what?"

"Well, if you are willing, I figured I could sign you up to the kissing booth. I would watch you kiss hundreds of guys and if I didn't do anything, I could have another chance." He looked at me with pleading eyes.

I thought about it. I guess it would prove to me that he would be okay with other guys, but did I really want to kiss all those guys. "Did you have any other ideas?"

His face dropped. It was obvious that he thought that I wasn't going to do it. "Um...no, but I-"

"No, it's fine, I'll do it. I was just hoping for a less saliva sharing way." Luke tried to suppress a smile but failed. "Did you watch the interview tonight?" I asked him, suddenly nervous as to what he was going to say.

"Yeah, I did." He sheepishly placed his hand on the back of his neck. "Fun to be around? That was a nice way to put it."

"Well you are." I stated as if it was the most common knowledge in the world. "Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are still not a really nice person." Luke's cheeks turned a slight crimson.

"Well I'll let you and your family celebrate. I'll see you at school." He said sticking out his hand. I looked at it weirdly, if I was going to forgive him, physical contact shouldn't be such a big issue.

Instead of taking his hand, I push passed and wrapped my arms around his neck. Luke hesitantly held me at my waist before we broke away. "Yeah, see you at school." He gave me one last smile before turning around and walking out the door.

I took a deep breath recollecting myself. I was still in my heels so I quickly hopped upstairs into my room to change. When I walked in I was surprised to find it no longer a mess, like the way I had left it in. I smiled at myself and got into a white singlet and my pyjama shorts that were laced with red polka dots.

I headed back downstairs, and found my mum, dad and brother all with mugs in their hands. "Where's Lily?" I asked, taking a seat.

"We sent her to bed. It was past her bedtime and she just wanted to see you come home." I smiled, how sweet. My mum handed me a mug and poured me some tea. As I enclosed my hands around the handle, I let the heat fill me up. I felt warm. I felt cosy. I felt at home.

"So what did you all think?" I finally asked.

The three of them smiled, but Josh was the one to speak first. "Couldn't think you could have done any better." My parents nodded in agreement and we let the subject drop.

The four of us stayed up for another half an hour finishing off the pot of tea. It felt so weird that this used to happen all the time but now was a distant memory. We all finally placed our mugs in the dishwasher and went to bed. As I was walking up the stairs, I felt a tug on my arm. It was Josh. "Mhm?" I hummed.