Chapter 44: The Last Day

“Alice”. I heard someone say. “Alice, wake up.”

“Go away.” I groaned. I didn’t know who it was, but I did know that I did not want to leave the comfortable cacoon that I was currently surrounded in.

“Come on, you need to get ready for your last day of school.” The gruff voice expressed.  I just pulled the covers over my head. I was too tired to function right now. “You don’t want to be late do you?”

I let out another groan in response, before the dip in my bed resided. Yes, he was gone. I popped my head out from under the blanket, and snuggled into the pillows. Not five seconds later, my doona was ripped out from under me.

My eyes shot open. And there I saw my dad with a smug smile on his face. “What the hell?!” I screamed, overly annoyed.

I tried to regather the warmth from before by forming a ball, but there was no use. The feeling was gone. I was awake.

I sat up from my position. “Good you’re up. I was worried you had fallen unconscious.” He chuckled to himself. I scowled, he was not being funny. “Well since you slept in, you need to be out the door in twenty minutes.”

I crossed my hands over the front of my chest. “Fine.” On that my dad dropped the blanket and left. I continued to scowl at the door even though he had already gone.

Now that I was supposedly wide awake, I made my way over to my wardrobe. I didn’t have time to have a shower, so I quickly sprayed some deodorant on and set to work.

I ended up putting on my dark blue, wash out jeans, and paired it with a simple baseball tee, along with my brown boot wedges and a large beanie.

By the time I had slung my bag over my shoulder and had headed into the kitchen, my parents were rushing around the house trying to find everything they needed for work. My mum rushed up to me. “Alice, there you are, have you seen my green folder?”

I looked at her slightly amused. She was bopping from her left foot to her right. “Yeah, it’s in the laundry. I saw it there yesterday at least.” She gave me a nod, before yelling thank you from the room over.

Not wanting to get in the middle of my parents hysteria, I continued on my way to the kitchen. By the time I looked at the clock, I only had five minutes for breakfast. Fruit it is.

I quickly grabbed myself a mandarin and an apple before proceeding towards the garage. “Where’s Lily?” I asked my dad while he was packing his briefcase.

“Josh gave her a lift to school.” He closed the clamp of his bag. “Since you were asleep and all.”

I laughed. “Yeah, thanks for that by the way.”

“One of the many pleasures of being a father.” I hugged him goodbye, before heading to my silver Mercedes.

“Wait!” He yelled after me. I stopped in my tracks and turned to face him. “Don’t forget after school Lily has her Career Day.”

My eyes widened. I had nothing prepared. How was I meant to stand in front of a group of kids and talk to them about what I did. I took a breath. “Why would they have the Career Day on the last day of school?”

“They don’t finish for another week.” Really? That sucks. I nodded my head at my dad before trying to make my way to my car.

I pumped the engine and backed out of the driveway. As I was driving I tried my best to eat my apple. There was no chance I was going to be able to peel my mandarin whilst driving.

Eventually, I arrived at the school. I checked the time once again. I still had a few minutes before I had to be in first period.

As I shut my car door and began making my way inside, I couldn’t help but smile. Today was the last day of school. Woohoo. I was so excited to just leave and not have to worry about assignments, and tests, and projects, and presentations. I could just go to work, with no stress whatsoever.