1.9

_

  arriving at the house Caroline kept her eyes in it, what was going to happen when she walked in? what would her parents say? while saying her goodbyes to her friends she took a look at JJ who wasn't looking at her at all. how could he? after what happened on the boat with Kiara he couldn't see the hurt in her eyes again. she waved to Cleo and Pope who sent her small gentle smiles as she walked past JJ. she reached out for his hand gently taking it giving it a tight squeeze making him look at her.

"you sure you don't wanna come with me?" she looked into the blue eyes she fell in love with.

JJ shook his head looking at their hands, "i'll pass by later. i gotta take care of something."

Caroline nodded stepping closer to him placing a gentle kiss on his cheek, "okay."

JJ had no idea what he did to deserve Caroline in his life. she was his everything. he sent her a small smile as she stepped back making her way to her front door walking inside quietly. nobody was seen in the living room as Caroline walked further into her house looking around seeing Matty running around the back porch.

her eyes watered seeing how he'd grown in the month she was gone knowing she missed a lot, including his seventh birthday. Zachery was leaning against the fence watching his son running around when he looked inside seeing Caroline standing near the door. standing up straight as fast as he could he rushed inside going to his daughter. Melissa quickly followed wondering why her husband ran inside until she froze seeing Caroline.

"hi." Caroline whispered.

Zachery ran over to her throwing his arms around his eldest daughter hugging her tightly. Caroline broke down into tears wrapping her arms around her fathers shoulders holding onto him tightly.

"i'm so sorry." she cried, Zachery just shook his head pulling away holding her face wiping the tears off her cheeks, "i'm so sorry, dad."

"it's okay. it's okay, you're home, baby girl." he sniffled smiling at his daughter.

"baby.." Melissa rushed over to Caroline hugging her tightly.

Caroline sniffled hugging her mother tightly looking over her shoulder seeing Matty standing at the door. she pulled away wiping away her tears seeing the now seven year old looking at his sister.

"Liney?" Matty asked slowly making his way to his sister.

Caroline smiled kneeling down to her brothers height, "hi buddy."

Matty ran over to her jumping into her arms hugging her, Caroline picked him up standing again holding her brother.

"you're home." he mumbled into her shoulder making her nod.

"i'm home." Caroline whispered kissing the top of his head repeatedly.

"and safe." Zachery hugged his daughter kissing her head as Melissa held her face.

__

once Caroline had showered and changed into comfortable clothes, she laid in bed texting Kiara on a new phone her father had gotten her along with a credit card incase she needed anything. her mother hasn't mentioned anything about boarding school so Caroline hoped she changed her mind about it. a knock came from the door making Caroline look over as Zachery walked in.

"hey, kid." he smiled holding up a bag of food, "thought you'd be hungry so i picked up our favorite."

Caroline smiled sitting up setting the phone down, "Heyward's seafood."

"saw Pope. asked about you immediately." he says walking towards the bed sitting down.

"how's he doing?" Caroline asked reaching for the bag.

"good. he's showing around that girl Cleo. says you guys met her while on that ship and she helped you guys out." Zachery handed her the bag.

"she's awesome. you'll like her."

Caroline looked through the bag of food seeing all her favorites while Zachery just watched her. he never thought he'd see her again. everyday for a whole month he would walk into the room and just sit on her chair. hoping she'd walk in through that door with news and a smile on her face.

"why don't we go eat this outside. on an actual table and not your bed." he reached for the bag standing up.

"but my bed is so comfy." Caroline looked at him.

"come on." he laughed pulling her up throwing his arm around her shoulder.

"you've gotta let me sleep in tomorrow." she laughed leaning into her father.

"no you're coming to work with me tomorrow because that's your punishment for leaving and not telling us."

"okay that's fair i'm fine with that." Zachery laughed as he and Caroline sat in the back porch eating their dinner and catching up on everything in the last month.

__

finishing up her dinner Caroline saw her phone light up seeing an email from John B. quickly cleaning her hands she reached for the phone opening up the message and gasped.

"what?" Zachery asked starting to throw stuff away.

"Big John's alive." Caroline looked at her father.

"no shit." he quickly walked to her side reading the email from John B, "wait, where's John B now?"

Caroline shut her phone off setting it on the table, "there's actually a lot more to tell you but long story short Kie and i got caught by some guys- we're fine! i promise you that and when we got away the guys who caught us showed up to where we were and John B happened to jump off the boat and run away and we had to leave him."

"what happened to never leave a Pogue behind?" he asked leaning back into the chair.

"we didn't want to leave him but we also had no idea where he was going or how long he would take and then those guys showed up and if we didn't leave then catch us. they're no joke, dad."

Zachery looked at his daughter and took her hand squeezing it tightly, "here's what we're gonna do. you can still see the Pogues, mom and i aren't gonna take them away from you because they're your family. but when you go see them i need you to tell us where you're going and try to give us a time on when you'll be back or if you're staying at Kie's. no boarding school, that shit is done for both me and your mom agreed. just promise me you'll tell where you are and if you're staying with the Pogues or running late."

"i promise, dad." Caroline stood up hugging her father tightly.

and that promise was not going to be broken.