1.17

_

_

  "all right, Sarah. it's time to come clean," Kie says, the three girls sat on the porch on a blanket, "what happened?"

Caroline set her phone down looking up from Kie's lap where she was resting her head, "you and Topper?"

"oh God. it's actually so embarrassing. he caught me slugging beer at the Tiki Bar." the blonde looked at her friends.

Kie chuckled, "you weren't."

"yeah. shot drinking."

"i'm not judging." Kie looked away shaking her head playing with Caroline's hair.

"i wouldn't blame you if you were. and then a couple kids from KCD rolled up, and they were already going to Mase. and.. i kissed him." Caroline jumped up turning around facing Sarah, "do you guys hate me?"

"hate's the wrong word." Kie disappointedly said.

"are you and John B over?" Caroline asked picking on her socks.

"no. well, i don't know. i don't want to be. like since the island, everything has felt so.. abnormal, and it just felt nice to feel something normal again. and i- like.. i'm a mess. i feel like such a mess." Sarah says, Caroline looked down at her hands nodding her head.

she agreed with Sarah about the whole island thing. nothing was the same since they had left Poguelandia, Caroline wished she could go back and spend all her days with JJ fishing, surfing, walking through the island and just holding each other in their arms before going to bed and waking up in each others arms the next morning.

"i think we're all a little messed up." Kie says.

"yeah."

"you, me, Ace, JJ. he stole that money clip from my dad, and i'm still pissed about it." she says looking at Caroline who kept her eyes down, "have you talked to him?"

looking up Caroline looked at her friends shaking her head, "last thing we talked about was us."

Kie squeezed her friends hand tightly when Sarah's phone rang, "Wheezie?"

"what?"

"i texted her when we got in." Sarah answered clicking on the voice memo.

'Sarah, don't be mad, but i ran away. i'm in the OBX, and i have t0 see you. come to our rental condo on Greensboro Street, okay? but, Sarah, please don't tell anyone.'