1.15

_

the following morning Zach made his way downstairs running his hands through his hair spotting his daughter on the couch wrapped around a blanket. he made his way to her seeing she was still in the clothes from the day before, sitting down besides her Zach gently shook her awake. Caroline moved away turning around seeing her father and slowly sat up.

"you slept here last night?" he whispered.

"yeah, i was too tired to go upstairs." she sniffled leaning back.

Zachery chuckled, "how'd it go last night? i just saw your text."

"it was fake. the cross wasn't there." she looked at her hands playing with the ring on her thumb.

"what?"

"it's over." she rubbed her eyes feeling them sting from all the crying the night before.

"now what?" he asked crossing his arms leaning back.

"i don't know," she whispered, "it's all gone to shit. we don't know where the gold is, we lost the cross for good. it's over."

Zachery had never seen Caroline like this before, since she had gotten home the other day she barely said a word and went to her room.

"you okay, kiddo?" he asked as Caroline looked at him, Zachery frowned seeing her eyes red and puffy and pulled her into his arms kissing the top of her head.

Caroline wrapped her arms around her father letting the tears fall on his chest, Zachery rested his hand behind her head holding her as she cried. Caroline hated this feeling, all she wanted was to stop crying but every time she thought about JJ, Poguelandia, losing the gold, the cross, the tears kept coming.

"what's going on?" he whispered.

Caroline sniffled resting her head on his shoulder, "JJ and i broke up and something happened last night and i thought i lost him for good."

"wait, wait, what?" Zachery pulled away looking at her, that was the last thing he'd never expect, he'd seen the way Caroline and JJ were together.

"yeah." she mumbled keeping her eyes on her hands.

"why don't you come into work with me today? help me out with a few releases we have." he nudged her, Caroline looked at him and nodded.

"sounds fun," she lightly smiled, "i'm gonna go take a shower and check on the Pogues."

"i'll see you there." he pat her leg as she stood up walking up the stairs to her room.

__

"little Caroline ain't so little anymore!" Big John laughed seeing Caroline who smiled widely hugging him tightly.

"hi!" she laughed patting his back.