Party Time

Chapter Thirty

****

"Three bags of dresses Lyds? Really....?" I asked my sister as we walked up to the Argent household.

Lydia rolled her eyes, "Duh Auttie, you know how important it is for me to look good on my birthday. And you too, so I have dresses in here for you to look at also."

"Hey guys!" Allison said, opening the door. "Come in."

Lydia and I followed Allison up to her room, tossing the three bags full of dresses onto her bed. "Clear your schedule, this could take awhile."  Lydia said, tossing her hair over her shoulder.

"Oh wow, look at all these clothes..." Allison said giving me a look.

I let out a laugh. "Oh yeah, you have to look the best when at a Martins birthday party...."

Allison began lifting dresses out of one of the bags, "How many outfits do you plan on wearing tonight?"

"Since it's my birthday party, I'm thinking host dress, evening dress, and then probably an after hours casual."

I picked a peach dress out of the pile, and held it up to myself in front of the mirror. "I noticed you didn't send out any invites..." Allison said, from behind me. I could see Lydia in the reflection of the mirror, her whole body tensing up as she tossed a dress to Allison. Yeah, we never have to invite people to our parties, but I'm concerned with everything that's happened that this won't be like any of the other parties. And it seemed as though Lydia felt the same.

"It's the biggest party of the year, Allison. Everybody knows."

I scoffed, "You wish sis, I give you a run for your money."

Lydia rolled her eyes, but let out a small laugh. "And who helps plan your parties? Yeah, that's what I thought..."

"I was just wondering if maybe this year...things, you know, might be different." Allison said, pretty much stealing my thoughts right out of my head. She wasn't holding them in like I was.

"Why would anything be different?"

Allison shifted uncomfortably, "Just, I don't know...because things have been off lately...things and people. Like Jackson..."

"Why do you care about Jackson?"

Allison shot me a look begging for rescue, "Lyds, we're both just curious if he's going to be coming tonight. After everything-"

"Everyone's coming." She interrupted, "Even Jackson...."

I let out a sigh, and tossed the peach colored dress back onto the bed. "Oh, this one's American rag!" Lydia exclaimed, picking a dress out of one of the bags. "I love it, for me....not you."

"Hey! That's my dress!"

Lydia gave her hair a flip, "Your point?" She reached into the bag pulling out another dress, holding it up to Allison. "This one's Material girl, it's for you!"

Allison smiled at her reflection in the mirror, taking the dress into her own hands. Before Allison could make a comment about the dress, there was a knock at the door grabbing all of our attention.

"Mrs. Argent! What do you think of this one?" Lydia asked, throwing her thumb back towards the dress.

Mrs. Argent forced a smile, "It's lovely...Allison, could I um...grab you for a moment to talk? Just the two of us?" Her voice was weak and shaky, and in my opinion she wasn't looking the greatest either. She was pale, and looked not only exhausted, but like she was holding back tears.