Entry #29

we did set-building in drama that afternoon, but i left my duffle in the theatre, so i had to go back to get it. while i was there, jimmy walked in, looking confused.

"oh, hey, Jimmy," i said with a smile, waving. Jimmy's cheeks turned red, but i couldn't understand why. was it because i had my hair down? people always said i looked better with it loose.

"hi," Jimmy said.

"everybody's down at the workshop," i said, bending down to grab my bag off the floor "we're making the scenery today."

i noticed Jimmy staring at me. "right," he murmured, glancing away.

"see something you like?" i teased with a wink. i could feel my face heat up as embarrassment settled in. god, why did i say that? i couldn't help but laugh, though, as Jimmy stuttered. "i"m only teasing."

i walked over and stood in front of Jimmy, pausing for a moment before stepping forward and hugging him tightly.

"thank for you standing up to zach," i said into Jimmy's chest "he could've done something terrible... and you stopped him, and-" i took a shaky breath as i pulled away. "just... thank you."

Jimmy stared down at me for a moment, a soft smile on his face. "of course," he said.

we stood there for a second. it felt like time stopped as we stared at each other, butterflies fluttering about in my stomach.

"we should probably go," i said, turning away.

"yeah," Jimmy breathed.

i walked over to the double doors, but stopped and turned back to Jimmy before opening them. "hey, uh..." i trailed off, digging the toe of my Converse high-tops into the floor nervously. "zach's going out with some friends tonight, and i'm too young to go with them, so..." i looked back up at Jimmy. "wanna hang out after drama club is over?"

Jimmy nodded. "sure," he agreed.

"sweet!" i hopped onto my toes, ecstatic. "it's a date."

i don't know what possessed me to do so, but when Jimmy walked over, i reached up to cup his face in my hands and i kissed him.

"race you to the workshop," i said quickly after pulling away. he didn't need to know how embarrassed i was. "last one there's gotta buy the other a chocolate shake!" and i took off down the hall.

Jimmy shouted behind me, "no fair! you play football!"

i cackled in front of him, turning so i was running backward. i stuck out my tongue, and Jimmy laughed.

"show-off!"

i turned back around, and just as i was about to win the race, i stopped dead in my tracks at a wet floor sign

"Why'd you sto- ah!"

i whipped my head around when i felt Jimmy grab onto my arm before being pulled down by Jimmy's weight, letting out a squeal as we hit the ground.

the door to the workshop opened, and in the doorway stood an unamused mr. harding.

"there you two are," he said, taking his glasses off and pinching the bridge of his nose. "it's always something with you boys."

we looked at each other, our backsides soaked and silly smiles on our faces. i was the first to giggle, followed by Jimmy, and soon we were laughing hysterically at each other.