Entry #36

Jimmy insisted on coming to my football tryouts, so i let him. except he kept flirting with me. and it made me angry. it wasn't fair.

"Football sounds like practically every sport," Jimmy had said after i explained how football is played.

"fair enough." i smiled at Jimmy. "i should go warm up a bit before other people start getting here..."

"alright. i'll be right here enjoying the view," Jimmy said with a wink.

A strange feeling stirred in my belly when he said that. i didn't like it. it felt gross.

i just flashed Jimmy an awkward smile and scurried off, dribbling the ball between my feet as i went.

while i was playing, everybody kept shouting at me to pass the ball, but... why? if i could make the goal, why should i get extra help from someone else? besides, i was always the mvp. i didn't need help.

"that was incredible," Jimmy said after the scrimmage, hopping down from the bleachers. "i hope you make the team so I can watch you play more."

i glanced over at Jimmy and paused for a moment as that weird feeling rose up again before sitting and leaning down to untie my cleats.

"scott?"

"hm?"

he sat down next to me. "are you okay?"

i nodded as i pulled my shoes off and switched them for my converse. "yeah, why?" i asked, distractedly taking off my shin guards. i tossed them, along with my cleats, aggressively into my duffle.

"you seem upset."

i hummed, turning to Jimmy. "i'm not. you coming?" it was easier to lie than to be honest. i didn't know if Jimmy would lash out if i told him how i felt.

Jimmy nodded. "right..."

we walked back to the school building in relative silence, me limping slightly since i slipped on some mud during the scrimmage.

"hey, Jimmy?" i asked as i came out of the
locker room, now in comfortable clothes.

Jimmy looked up from his phone. "yeah?"

"can i stay over at your place again tonight?" i asked shyly. "i liked staying over the other day." it was really just to avoid zach, if i'm honest.

Jimmy nodded, much to my relief. "of course," he agreed, and i looked up with a happy smile. "is it okay with zach, though?"

i rolled my eyes. "who cares what zach thinks?" i said, grimacing. "he's got his own things to do."

Jimmy sighed. "okay. joel should be picking up Grian at the workshop right about now," he said, glancing over at the clock on the wall. "if we head over there, he'll take us home."

"sounds good to me."