Chapter 3: Guilt and New Power

In the forest on the outskirts of Magnolia, many of the forest animals gathered next to their normal watering pond, but today it was for a different reason. Zinnia sat by the side of the pond holding her head in her hands as she cries. The animals all seem very worried, very few knowing what to do to help her. When they hear dragons roar the animals scatter and the Shadow dragons walks into the small opening. He takes one look at Zinnia and sighs. What was he going to do with her?

"My little shadow, what are you crying for?" Skiadrum asks her laying next to her.

"I-I failed everyone." Was all Zinnia could sob out. Skiadrum sat confused watching the girl.

"Failed everyone? You have no failed us child."

"Yes I have. I've fail everyone at the guild, which turns into my failing all of you."

Skiadrum was still confused. When he thought about it, Zinnia shouldn't have been here until two morning from now, what was she doing back so early? "Child what happened?"

"We were on that mission, and then some dark guild, they were extremely powerful, not even I could stand against them, even with a replica of one of you. We weren't strong enough. We all got separated. I was fighting someone with some kind of lost magic that I hadn't seen in many years, I was beyond shocked at how a normal human could have learned the magic that even Zeref said would kill a person not long after acquiring it. But this man seemed as if he had been using it for so long.

He easily beat me. Once he had, he left me there, but I managed enough strength to try and follow. I didn't get very far, and soon enough I heard a scream and I knew it was Mavis. I used the last of my magic power and summoned an animal to take to to where I had last seen Mavis, what I saw was heart breaking. Everyone was stood around Mavis, Yury was crying, well everyone was, I started to when Warrod told me that she was dead. I had failed them. I couldn't protect my friend. Everyone tried to tell me that it wasn't my fault, but I didn't listen to them, when I got enough strength to come home I did, I left everyone there because I felt as if they hated me. I feel as if Mavis hates me for not being able to help more. I'm so weak. Even for being the sister of the most hated wizard in the world, who is also one of the strongest, I'm still weak."

Skiadrum was shocked at what Zinnia had told him. The girl that he had come to like as a friend to his little shadow was gone. How was he going to tell the other dragons, and when. He knew that Zinnia was his main priority. In this state he didn't know what kind of power she could unleash that no one knew was inside of her.

"Zinnia, my little shadow, it was not your fault. That man with that lost magic, he wasn't something that you could stand up to at the time. You'll become stronger, it just takes time." Skiadrum tried to comfort her. He pulled her into him, thinking that a hug would make her feel better, though that might be a stretch right now.

"But I should have been powerful enough to protect my friend!" Zinnia shouted. Skiadrum could feel her magic power growing, changing. It wasn't good.

"Zinnia, you must calm down. You are building up a strange magic power, I don't think this is good for you." He needed to stop whatever was happening. This magic was something that he had felt once before, when Acnologia was first starting to become evil and turn into a dragon. What was coming from Zinnia might be different, but it felt similar.

"Is anything ever good for me?" Zinnia's voice had changed, it was clear, and it wasn't Zinnia. "Nothing I do is good Skiadrum. I'm not good. I've evil, just like my brother."

"No you aren't. You are good. You are my little Shadow. You are Zinnia, the Dragon savior, the one who will over come Acnologia and save the dragon race. You will look over the world and make sure that everything is how it should be. You will be friends with many guilds, even if there is death, it is just a way of life. Everyone dies Zinnia, it is the way of life." Skiadrum was trying to put into Zinnia's head that dying was something that would happen with everyone. No one lived forever.

"I won't die Skiadrum. I'm immortal remember? Thanks to my brother, I'll live forever with guilt lingering within me."

"No you won't! Maybe you won't die Zinnia, but that just means that you have a reason to look over the world." Skiadrum shouted. "You don't need to have guilt Zinnia, it was not your fault hat Mavis died. Everything happens for a reason."

"Nothing happens for a reason, other then human error." Zinnia laughed looking at Skiadrum. "I'm liking this new power Skiadrum, it feels nice."

"Zinnia stop this! Stop this right now! You don't know what this magic is doing to you!"

"I know exactly what it's doing to me. Making me who I really am."

"No. I won't let it!" Skiadrum roared charging at Zinnia. He knew that something had to be done. He couldn't let her turn into what she was becoming, it wasn't her. It was Zinnia, his little shadow. It wasn't the little girl that followed him around for months after running away from her brother to help the dragons and make people realize that not all of them were bad. This wasn't his shadow.

Skiadrum held Zinnia to the ground, growing sadder as he knew that what he was about to do was for the best. "Roar of the Shadow Dragon!" Skiadrum's shadowy roar shot down at Zinnia, he was hoping that this would bring her back to her senses, then, he would make her forget that it ever happened. He would leave Mavis' death with her, knowing that her grieving over it was a good thing, she would know loss well and know that it wasn't her fault after some time. He would only make her forget this power. No matter what it took. He wanted his little shadow back. Everyone needed the dragon savior back.