Chapter 20: My little Marvell

"Does anyone know really anything about this mission?" Lucy asks as they're bounced around in the back of a wagon. 

"Master said that we would be filled in when we get to our destination," Erza said from the front where she was driving.

"Do you know anything about it Zinnia?" Gray asked looking to the girl who was trying to comfort Natsu and his motion sickness.

"I know nothing more than you do. Master told me that we would be working with three other guilds but never gave me the names." Zinnia sighed watching out the back. She was shocked that Makarov kept her in the dark with a mission like this, she was shocked that she was even sent on it.

"I'm still trying to figure out why I'm here. I'm not strong like the rest of you." Lucy grumbled.

"Lucy, what have I told you about doubting yourself? You come from a long line of powerful mages. Your mother was amazing, I met many of your ancestors, they were powerful, you just have to channel the power within you." Zinnia said partly scolding the girl. She hated when Lucy doubted herself, she knew just how powerful she could be when she put her mind to it. "You're a part of Fairy Tail's strongest team, we would never leave you behind."

"Thank you Zinnia, I'm just worried is all." Lucy sighed.

"Don't worry, I'll stick with you." Zinnia smiled once again, it wasn't long until they were going to arrive at their destination. 

∆∆

"We're just waiting on one more person," Ichia said once almost everyone was gathered together.

"What guild was this person from again?" Erza asked.

"Cait Shelter."

"C-Cait Sh-Shelter?" Zinnia stuttered as the door opened once again and a small girl ran through them. "W-Wendy?" This wasn't good.

"Zinnia, are you okay?" Lucy whispered.

"No." She said watching as Wendy introduced herself to everyone, Carla, of course, being uptight as always. She caught sight of Zinnia and walked over giving her the famous Carla glare.

"Zinnia, I wasn't expecting to see you here or anywhere around Wendy for that matter." Carla snapped. Zinnia was always so scared of being around Wendy, she didn't want the young girl to become attached to her and not be able to leave her. She has only visited her a few times after the Dragons leaving, well she had checked on Wendy many times, but very few did she show herself.

"Carla, it's nice to see you. I know how you feel about me, but I do wish to speak with you about it, in private as some time. Please." Zinnia sighed looking away from the white exceed. She felt so shamed around Carla.

"Carla, my friend how are you?" Skia asked flying up to Carla.

"Skia, I see you're here as well." Carla scuffed, normally she was fairly nice to her fellow cat, today she wasn't going to be. Skia was shocked, he shook his head flying over to Zinnia and landing in her outstretched arms. He knew when she needed him, this was going to be one of those times.

"Where do I know the name Wendy from?" Natsu asked himself looking at the girl in front of him. Does he remember her? He didn't have that reaction with Gajeel, maybe, just maybe the dragons had something to do with this.

"Zinnia?" A small voice asked now standing in front of her.

"Hello, Wendy." Zinnia whispered peering out from under her bangs at the small girl. "You've grown a lot since I last saw you. How is your magic going?"

"Really well, I still haven't mastered any offensive magic yet. It takes time though, right?" Wendy was shying away when Zinnia raised her head more to look at her.

"It does. You'll get there, I know it. I know someone who might be able to help you a little more with that compared to me. We'll start that after this mission, how does that sound?" Zinnia smiled at the girl.

"It sounds great." Wendy smiled. "I missed you." She wrapped Zinnia in a hug. She was shocked for a second before hugging the small girl back. This mission was going to be more about protecting Wendy now than it is about doing the mission. Zinnia couldn't fail, never again.