Chapter 38

Theo's POV

When I finally made it back to my apartment, I fell onto my bed and screamed into my pillow.

It hurt... everything was too painful, his words still rang in me ear, over and over, Maddox telling me it was over, and that he didn't love me, his voice echoing over in my head, telling me to not make it any more difficult.

My whole world smashed right in front of my eyes, like a mirror, Maddox had broken it into pieces and me along with it, I couldn't feel anything from how numb I felt, and from how much I wish this wasn't my reality.

t felt like I couldn't breathe, like every fibre in my body was stopping me from gaining oxygen as I cried, and cried, my heart had broken and the more I tried to calm down, the more I cried.

The whole walk back to the apartment, I held it all in, until I couldn't anymore and burst out crying once I got close to my apartment, not caring if people saw me, nothing mattered anymore.

Maddox broke up with me, and none of it makes sense, we were good, we were happy together, what we had was real, and not just sex, we talked, we spoke about everything, our dreams, our plans and hopes.

I thought he loved me... I half hoped that he was going to tell me he loved me today, but instead, out of the blue, he ended things without telling me why.

Was it something I did?

Could I have done something or said something to change his mind?

It can't just end like this... I love him, and without him I'm nothing.

I hear the front door, making me jolt upwards in my bed, my heart pounding in my chest, wondering if it could be him- to come and tell me it was all a joke, and that we weren't really breaking up.

Yet, it was wishful thinking, the moment I saw Marcus's face, I couldn't help but cry, as my heart felt like it was breaking, all over again.

"W-Woah, Theo?"

I felt him touch my shoulder as he sat down on my bed, I was hugging my knees with my head down as I didn't want anyone, and not someone I just became friends with, to see me like this.

"Theo, what happened, what's wrong?" His voice was soft and filled with concern.

Everything was falling apart... and the more I thought about the pain in my chest, the more I thought of Maddox, and how it really is the end, and... I'll never be able to see him again.

"Theo.."

I felt Marcus wrap his arms around me as he hugged me close to his chest, his hands gently rubbing my back as I wrapped my arm around him, and pressed my face into his shoulder, tightly squeezing my eyes shut and desperately trying to breathe, as my chest hurt.

"I-I... It's o-over b-between us..." I said, my voice unrecognizable and broken. "I-I can't b-breath."

Marcus hugged me tighter and continued to rub my back as I cried, I cried until I had nothing left and until my eyes were so swollen that it was hard to open them without them stinging painfully.

Marcus sat with me, he didn't ask me any questions as to what happened, he just sat with me, and I didn't notice how much I needed the silence until I calmed down and stopped crying.

It was over, and now all I felt was numb, and emptiness, like a part of me was destroyed.

"Are you hungry... or thirsty?" Marcus asks, as he hands me a box of tissues from his side of the room.