• IV •

He returned home that night, ignoring his mother entirely when she greeted him at the door. His mind was racing with too many questions to notice her. Who was that girl? Why did she stop fighting once the sparks came? Why was she there in the first place? What *was* she? What was he? Why the fuck can he make sparks come from his hands? What is happening?

Those shadows... she probably didn't even realise she was doing it, it seemed like she was so enraged they just happened. Like him with the school power. All the thoughts raced through his head along with questions that he just couldn't answer. All he knew was he needed to see her again. He needed to find out what she was. What he was. She was the key to him finding out what was happening, though he didnt know exactly why he knew this. He just needed to win her trust first.

He needed to find out more, find iut just what was inside him.

He dug deep into his mind. Come on Will, feel it...

He breathed deeply, trying his hardest to feel the energy within him. He felt it pretty soon, this electrifying buzz deep in his stomach. He focused on making it spread. Through his chest, legs, arms, hands. He brought the energy to his hands, trying to focus on it going outward. Out of his fingertips, into the air. Soon enough, he opened his eyes and there were lime green sparks dancing around his fingertips. He focused on an object, a pillow, that caught his eye. He tried to make the energy disconnect, leaving his fingers and hitting the pillow. The green lightning shot out and hit the pillow, igniting it in a small flame. He ran over and quickly snuffed it out.

William was pretty sure he didn't sleep at all that night. He spent the entirety of his evening trying to control this new power he had. If he was gonna have it, he might as well be able to use it. Maybe that would also help him keep it in check. He had gotten pretty far with it already, able to now summon the sparks on his hands and use it as a sort of whip, flicking his hand and sending the sparks flying. He was also able to remove and replace the power of his computer, and found out a nifty little trick to charge his phone instantaneously. He noticed he had gained a cut along his cheek from that girl's horn, which he still couldn't wrap his head around. Well, technically, they were wrapped around her head.

Thankfully, tomorrow was Saturday. His head finally hit the pillow as the sun rose, feeling drained from the use of his power.

--------

He packed a backpack for his trip out, I clouding some snacks and a small first aid kit. He didn't know how long he would be out there, and he refused to be hungry. He hoisted the bag onto his shoulder and went downstairs.

"What are you doing with a bag that big?" Shit, he forgot about his mom.

"Oh, uh- I was just gonna go out on a hike, I figured I'd need food."

"Oh, alright, just be back before sunset ok?"

"OK mom, bye, love you."

"Love you too, be safe."

He closed the front door behind him and headed out towards the side of the school that faced the forest.

The hike was longer than he remembered it being, resulting in him almost turning around a few times thinking he may have passed it. But he stayed moving forward, eventually seeing the lake reflecting the sun, the rock being a black spot in comparison to the bright yellow rays. He couldn't explain it, but something seemed off. It did not hold the peaceful air it had when he came here before. The tension was almost palpable as he wandered around the clearing, searching for where that girl could have gone.

He heard a grunt of effort, turning his head toward the sound. What met his eye was the same brown-haired girl from that day, eyes back to their auburn color. She looked at him with less of a wary look as yesterday, more respectful in a way. Like she had seen his power and it caused some kind of revelation.

It almost looked like she was going to approach him, but before she could, a black band encircled her wrist. The same wrist that still carried those lightning shaped scars, though they were far more faded than the day before. The band was attached to some kind of string that then pulled her into the forest. She squealed as she was pulled into a black net, two dark figures emerging from the trees and pulling her closer.

Without thinking he ran towards her, he had to save her. He leapt into action, using his newfound semi-control over his power to momentarily stun them as he uncovered her from the net. The figures, which William could now see were two tall men, basically towering over his and her shorter stature, came to and attempted to grip the string that attached the girl to the net. Will quickly used a small amount of electricity to burn up the rope, causing it to disconnect from the girl's wrist. He grabbed her hand and ran the opposite direction.

The men were quick to act again, this time going after both of them. They captured the girl again, this time tying a string around her neck. She gagged and choked as the string tightened, sure to leave a mark. He panicked and froze for a moment, and that was enough for him to end up in a similar predicament, a rope being tied around his abdomen. He let out a grunt as he was pulled to the ground and hoisted into the net with the girl. One of the men then grabbed the girl's head and smacked it to the ground, causing her to almost immediately go unconscious. Will felt his head being brought up in the same way by the other figure, getting slammed to the ground. His vision darkened until he succumbed to the grip of sleep.

Well fuck.