• XXVI •

Aeron picked up the scissors, guiding them to her head. 3...2...1...

Snip.

She gained confidence, picking up the speed at which she was cutting.

By the time she finished, her hair was cut into a blunt bob, just above her shoulders.

When she was done, she was nearly unrecognizable. Her once long, curly red hair that reached the middle of her back was tamed into a short bob. She looked in the grimy mirror of their temporary home, her lips curving into a smile.

She admired her work for a bit, shocked that on her first try she achieved a cut that even, before leaving the bathroom to talk to the two teens she stayed with.

It had been a year since the fight. A year since Aeron killed their father. A year since they've seen any sign of the comp. Sometimes Aeron didn't realise she was actually out, she found it strange to be walking along roads and opening unlocked doors. It wasn't an overwhelming feeling, just strange from time to time as she processed.

She was happy with her new family. She was out of the comp. Really out, and she was never going back. No matter what.

The trio had slowed down on their walking journey due to no obvious threats, though Aeron still insisted they keep moving. Now they were in a small town in Texas, and had been staying in the same small, abandoned house for the past few days.

William was sprawled across the couch, Senka nestled into his side, as Aeron paced in front of him.

"Relax," William said calmly. "What are you so stressed about?"

Aeron sighed, frustrated. "Are you forgetting that there is a literal organised crime division looking for us?"

"No, but we havent seen them for months. How do we even know they're still looking? We should calm down a bit, settle. You know?"

"Calm...down? Will, do you not understand the gravity of the situation?" Aeron had stopped pacing, eyes wide as she stared down the blonde. "We've been in one place for way too long. We have to keep moving."

William sat back on the couch, his arm around Senka's shoulders. "Where? Whats the point if we're not running from anything?"

Aeron shook her head. "You don't get it, do you? They're still out there! I don't want --" She hesitated. "It's still too dangerous. We can't be free until we take them down. Once and for all."

"Well how are we gonna take them down if all we're doing is running away?" William was frustrated now, sitting up (to the dismay of Senka) and beginning to walk toward the door.

"Will-" Aeron and Senka said at the same time. "Don't." Aeron continued.

"No. This is stupid. Weve been running from nothing and you're too paranoid to see that!" He took a breath and opened the door, making sure not to look at the hurt in Aeron's eyes. "I'm going out."

Aeron fell silent.

"Will please-" Senka tried to reson with him, but he was already out the door.

Aeron stood still in the living room, still staring forwards at the door her brother had just slammed in her face.