• XV •

The girl squinted in the dark, looking around before opening her eyes. She wasn't planning on sleeping tonight.
She could see her breath in the crisp late winter air, though her coat kept her warm. Upon hearing a strange clattering noise, she looked down to the boy she had just escaped a prison with.

He was freezing. She could tell. Not because she had great intuition, though she did, but because anyone with working eyes could see the violent shivering coming from Will and the sleeping girl at his side. They must have unconsciously moved toward each other in their sleep, probably felt each other's body heat and moved together. She would never admit it, but they kind of looked cute like this.

Cuteness aside, she didn't want either of them getting hypothermia in their sleep. She stripped off her fur-lined coat, the only thing the group had that was actually built to withstand the cold, and draped it over the two small bodies. For once she was happy that she was significantly older and larger than them, since it layered over them like a blanket. She was a bit colder, but the windbreaker she had on underneath the coat did an OK job at keeping the chill at bay.

She did it. She looked into the fire after making sure the two were comfortable, thinking. A small smile emerged on her face, the first real, genuine smile she had experienced in years.

She knew they were coming, that He was coming. She knew they needed to move fast tomorrow. But for now, she focused on relaxing as the pain in her head dulled to a small thump, like a distant drumming rather than the pounding it had been earlier.

She wasn't sleeping, she was just resting her eyes.