• XVI •

William woke up the next day to a hand snapping in his face.

"Up and at em," the ginger stated, "We'll need all the sunlight we can get."

He opened his eyes to the sin barely peeking up over the horizon,  the fur coat-clad redhead kneeling down to look at him.

She knew that William and Senka would have lost it if they woke up in the way they were sleeping, so she had covertly separated them about an hour before she woke them up and re-donned her coat.

William looked over to the black-haired girl, her horns almost propping up her head as her eyes squinted.

"You too babe," the girl walked over to Senka, nudging her with her thick-soled combat boots. "I'm not carrying you again."

Senka darted into a sitting position, gaining consciousness for the first time in days.
"Good morning sunshine." Her tone was kind, but sarcastic. Clear that she wasn't going to hurt the fairy, but wasn't going to tolerate any funny business. "Me and your friend here got you out of the compound. You've been asleep for a few days, but we need to keep moving."

Senka looked around, still disoriented. Her eyes locked on to Will's, wide with lucidity. Faster than he could react, she tackled him into a hug, almost knocking him over.

"Hi" William was confused, sure they had spoken before, but they didn't know each other that well, and wasn't she mad that he was basically the one that got them captured in the first place?

She pulled back for a moment and placed her hands on his shoulders. She spoke gravelly, her voice broken from no use. "I was worried about you. The things they said they were doing to you..." Her eyes glossed over with tears as she pulled him back in. Apparently, they put her in his same situation. Their threats against her were horrendous, he could only imagine what they had been saying to her.

He wrapped his arms carefully around her torso, as if she would crumble if he held her too tight. His eyes almost welled up with tears, she was awake. And she was OK.

"OK this is adorable, but we really need to move." The redhead pulled her hood over her head, stepping out of the cave.

"We should get going." William said after the two separated. He wished he could hold her, tell her it was OK, but he didn't know that. They had to go, and he knew it.

"Y-yeah." Senka replied. She tried to stand, wobbly as she rose. She almost fell over, but William caught her by her forearms and helped her stand. Eventually she regained her strength and they walked out of the mouth of the cave.