• XXXI •

After several trains, cars, and some very interesting people, Aeron and Senka were able to find a bus that would take them to Portland. From there, they would walk back to the comp. They sat in the back corner, relatively isolated from the others on the bus.

Aeron had been practicing her abilities on Senka, with her permission. She found that the more she used them, the more she was able to do without getting a headache. Now she was able to hold her powers on someone for about an hour, something they tested during a train ride when everyone else was asleep.

They had spent their time trying to get to know each other better than they already did, attempting to quell the growing anxiety over their destination.

"How did you grow up?" Aeron questioned, "I know Will saw you in the forest, but where did you live? Did you have people?"

"No, not really," Senka responded easily. "It was common for kids to 'leave the nest' really early, so I mostly grew up alone. I made friends with the animals, and they taught me how to hunt and protect myself. My powers came in handy for predators, so I made sure to keep them safe. It was quite peaceful."

Aeron nodded, chewing her lip to process the new information. She was fascinated by Senka's life, the same way she loved when Will told her stories of his.

"So how did you learn to speak? Were you ever taught to read or anything?"

"Yes, actually. Someone found me when I was young and I spent some time in a foster home. I learned to read and write basically, but they decided it was too dangerous for me to live among humans due to my rather obvious non-humanness. They let me go back to the forest after I convinced them I could take care of myself. Overall they were nice."

"Wow," Aeron whispered.

Senka huffed out a quiet laugh, welcoming the silence before inevitably being drawn back to worry. They were almost there.

After the pair got off the train, they made quick work of hiking to the lake the comp was located near. Aeron helped Senka track where they were, and once they found an area she recognised they set up camp. Tomorrow was the day. They were getting will back, no matter what it took. Aeron forced herself to sleep.