• XXXVI •

Night had fully arrived when Aeron made it to the gigantic pile of rubble, scrunching her nose slightly at the unpleasant smell of burnt building. Aeron closed her eyes, letting her mind's perception expand as she searched for any presences that may have survived. She felt Senka's sleeping consciousness, still out cold. What had bothered Aeron from the moment they entered the comp was just how empty it was. Devoid of anyone other than the guard at the door, the doctor and Ivan. She never recalled the halls being so silent, so empty.

The minds beginning to surround her confirmed her suspicions.

Her eyes opened, turning toward the men who were forming a semicircle around her, each of them wearing their signature jacket, displaying an embroidered square over the blood red fabric. Despite the scenario she was in, Aeron couldn't help but smile. She looked down toward her hands, focusing the buzzing in her stomach toward them. The blue sparks once again emerged, further igniting her desire to kick ass. To say she was furious would be a horrific understatement.

"Boys," She lifted her head to look at the men, her confident tone coming back to her like riding a bike, despite the volume of faces she was confronted with. If her count was correct there were over 50 of them. "Let's dance."

Aeron immediately paralyzed the men before taking them on about 5 at a time. It was a less efficient way to go about it, but her newfound energy never faltered. Soon, the men were all laying among the rubble of the collapsed compound, their blood turning the ground crimson as it pooled below them. Aeron's chest rose and fell heavily, the rage from losing William truly dissipating for the first time.

Her legs gave out on her as she fell to the ground, on all fours as she stared down. She had run out of tears, and all that was left was emptiness and regret. Regret for who she was, what she did, what happened to Will, everything. She didn't deserve to live when he wasn't alive anymore. It should have been her.

Aeron felt arms wrap around her and a weight rest on her shoulder. Senka wiped the blood from Aeron's nose as she held her, no longer crying, but sitting in silent agony. The chill of night air down their spines provided a welcoming cold, a feeling.

Aeron stared at the rubble, her breath finally evening out. "I thought you were asleep," She whispered, the energy she had used all day finally catching up as her adrenaline wore off.

"A squirrel fell on my face." Aeron looked toward her friend, confusion written across her features. The duo laughed for a moment, the bitersweet moment coming at the perfect time.

"Yeah, that'll do it."