• XII •

William was on high alert as the girl, more tense than he had ever seen her, led him down the long hallways. She had been very clear when she explained the plan to him: one wrong move and they're all dead.

He didn't know why she wanted to help him, but he wasn't complaining. He noticed the buzzing he felt in his chest got stronger as he grew more anxious about their plan. The redhead let him to a large door, one he recognized as the room he was kept in with Senka. She unlocked it, pushing open the heavy metal. William squinted with the light pouring out of the room, had he really grown used to that much light? Then he saw her.

A slim figure, almost like a skeleton, strewn across the floor.

"They don't have to tie her up anymore. She's too weak to move. I doubt she's been conscious for a while." She moved toward the small frame, hoisting senka up onto her shoulders. William was in awe of how easy it seemed to be to pick her up, both amazed at the girls strength and terrified that Senka could be that light.

She led him through the twisting hallways. The more they walked, the stranger it seemed.

There were no guards around.

The halls were empty and silent except for the footfalls of the two escapees. The girl seemed to be thinking about something, so no conversations was brought up between the two. They reached a large metal door, and a guard. He didn't seem to question anything about what was happening or why there was a girl draped over the soldier's shoulder.

"Let us through." She spoke clearly, emphasizing that there was nothing stopping her from leaving.

The girls breathing was getting heavier as they passed through, her footing became more uneven and she seemed far more tired than he had ever seen her. She stopped, propping Senka against the wall before sitting down herself. She put her head in her hands and mumbled something under her breath, seeming frustrated.

"Fuck." She looked up from her hands at Will. "You need to go. The next door is your way out." She stood up and began walking back the way they came. "I'll hold them off as long as I can."

"Woah, wait what? No! You're coming with us." William was flabbergasted as he began to walk after the redhead.

"That was never part of the plan." She sighed, looking sympathetic. "I thought I could hold them off longer."

William began to hear footsteps down the halls, coming towards them. The girl crouched into a fighting stance.
"For the last time, go." She growled at him, desperate.

William crouched into the same stance. "Not without you." He heard a sigh from the girl next to him.

"Idiot."