Chapter #42

Chapter #42
______________
Louri’s POV
“Good morning Major.” O’Riely says as I leave my pod. “O’Riely do you know what today is?" I ask grumpy that I am not home for today. "September 15th Ma'am." He says still happy. "Yeah my wedding anniversary and I am here so no Corporal it is not a good morning." I say as we walk to the mess hall. “Sorry Major I forgot. You have us though.” He says trying to cheer me up. “I’m not having sex with you.” I laugh. “Yeah that would make Scarlett mad.” He laughs with me. “HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!” Everyone screams as I enter the mess hall and it’s all decorated. “When did you guys do this?” I ask as Tom walks up with a phone. “Last night and I believe this is for you.” He says handing me the phone.
“Hello.” I say through the sat phone.
“Happy anniversary Babe.” Scarlett’s voice comes through the phone.
“Am I dreaming? I thought we wouldn’t be able to call.” I say holding back tears.
“I pulled some strings. We have a full two hours to talk.” She says.
“Two hours how did you manage that?” I ask.
“I have ways.” She laughs.
“What does that mean?” I ask walking back to my pod so I can have privacy.
“So do you like your surprise?” She asks.
“Like I love it. Speaking of surprises go into the top drawer of my nightstand there’s a blue box in there for you.” I tell her.
“Ok that’s easy I’m still in bed. I have it. What is it?” She asks.
“Open it and find out.” I tell her.
“Oh my god Louri it’s beautiful. It’s our birthstone along with Devon’s.” She says describing the necklace I got her.
“I wish I could be there to give it to you personally.” I tell her.
“Have you gotten your mail yet?” She asks.
“Yeah I’ve got some things on my desk I didn’t put them there though.” I say entering my pod.
“I had Kilinger put them in there while you went to the mess hall.” She says.
“So you organized all of this?” I ask.
“Yep. Oh hey Buddy do you want to talk to Mama?” I hear her ask Devon through the phone then a giant squeal.
“MAMA!” I hear Devon yell.
“Hey little Marine you don’t need to yell ok.” I tell him.
“Otay.” He replies.
“Are you still there Baby?” I ask not knowing if Devon took off with the phone like he did last week when he was talking to Ma.
“I’m here Babe you’re on speaker.” She says and I can almost hear her smile.
“Ok so what am I supposed to open?” I ask sitting at my desk.
“Well I only sent one thing so the one that says it’s from me.” She tells me.
“Got it. Oh Baby this is amazing and just what I needed.” I say holding the silver framed picture of Scarlett and Devon from the day we went to the beach and she didn’t know I was taking pictures.
“I love it.” I say starting to cry but they are tears of happiness.
“Why is Mama sad?” Devon asks.
“Oh no Devon I’m not sad I’m really happy. It’s happy tears son.” I say not taking my eyes off the pitcure.
“I’m glad you like it I know you like more simple things and this you can put on your desk when you are out there and when you get home.” Scarlett says.
“It the best fucking gift I have ever gotten.” I say.
“FUCK!” Devon yells and I just laugh.
“Oh my goodness.” Scarlett says.
“Mommy what that?” I hear him ask.
“This is what Mama got me. You see this stone is our birthstone and this one is yours.” I hear her tell him.
“You do good Mama.” He says.
“It’s did Bubs.” I tell him he is good with words but still needs help he’s only two after all.
“I wove you Mama.” He says he is still having trouble with L’s
“I love you too Devon.” I reply.
“Do you go now?” He asks sadly.
“No not yet Bubs. Mommy got us two whole hours to talk.” I tell him I’m surprised he remembered that I normally only get half an hour.
“That’s right. Now let’s bring Mama with us so we can make breakfast.” Scarlett says.
“Otay Mommy.” He says and I can hear them get out of bed.
“Thank you Scarlett not just for the gift but for getting us two hours to talk. I’ve missed your voice Baby.” I tell her.
“I miss you.” She tells me.
“I know but hey there hasn’t been any sign of the enemy anywhere near us.” I tell her and I hear her sigh in relief.
“That’s good because you are coming home safely that’s an order Marine.” She says.
“That’s the plan. So tell what you have planned for the rest of the day?” I ask.
“Well we might go to the park and Lizzie and Gwenyth are coming over later today.” She tells me.
“Ah the MARVEL ladies. Devon loves Pepper Pots. He might go nuts.” I joke.
“Yeah he might.” She laughs.
“I can’t believe you managed to pull all this off within just a few days. I’m impressed.” I say.
“Fuck.” Devon says again.
“Hehe sorry Baby.” I say when I hear Scarlett sigh.
“Maybe if Pepper Pots tells him he shouldn’t say that he’ll stop.” She says, making me laugh.
“Yeah good luck with that it’s his favorite word.” I say.
“And who taught him that word?” She questions playfully.
“Guilty. But hey at least that’s the only cuss word he says.” I say.
“True but he did tell one of the daycare staff to fuck off yesterday.” She tells me.
“Wait seriously? Do we know why?” I ask laughing.
“I have no clue and you shouldn’t be laughing at that.” She says trying to hide her own laugh.
“But it’s funny I can just imagine a two year old looking up at a full grown ass adult and telling them to fuck off.” I say trying to control my laughter and I hear her start to laugh as well.
“When you put it like that it is a little funny.” She laughs.
After two hours it’s time to say goodbye.
“I love you two very much and I can’t wait to come home to you guys.” I say.
“We love you too Babe.”
_______________
Scarlett’s POV
6 months later
I am currently in a meeting with Tina. She said she had some news for me. “Sorry for making you wait Scarlett.” Tina says walking into the meeting room. “It’s alright what is it you wanted to tell me?” I ask. “Well the USO tour this year will have a stop where Louri is stationed.” She tells me, making me smile. “Louri will love that. But what does that have to do with me?” I ask. “Well they are offering you a spot for this tour.” She says. “Really?” I ask slightly confused. “Yes really. I thought it might be a nice surprise for Louri. I know these last few weeks have been stressful for her.” Tina says. “I’ll do it.” I say surprising myself. “Amazing you  leave in a week.” She says. “Ok I better start packing and find someone to watch Devon. I am excited to see where Louri lives when she is on deployment.” I tell her as I gather my things and practically run out of the office and pull out my phone to call Mom. 

A/N
Get ready for an emotional chapter. And to any of my readers that are Moms I hope you have a great Mother’s Day. Anygays see you in the next one.