10.

George was sitting on the sofa of his room inside the hospitality, reading a book. You knocked.

"George?"

You heard movement and footsteps approaching. He opened the door. "Yes?"

"Sorry to bother you, I wanted to talk to you before qualifying, could I?"

"Sure," he said and moved aside so you would come in. "Do I have to do any interviews or something?"

"No, nothing of that," you explained as you sat on a big chair near him. "I wanted to ask what was wrong, I see something troubling you but I don't know how to help..."

"It's nothing, it will pass, don't worry," he said dryly.

"But I do, you stressing doesn't help your performance and I know you'll get angry at that too..."

"Honestly, I'm meditating to help myself let it go, it's fine..."

You sighed. "Okay, I didn't want to get to this but here it goes: why are you happy with everyone except with me?"

George looked at you. "That's not-"

"That excuse will be bosh and you know it. Spit it out."

"Because everyone gets treated differently with you and I'm here like a corporate case, barely getting a space to say hello before talking about work all day!" He sat down harshly.

"What? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Are you telling me that you don't even realise that everyone out there is screaming their love for you with hugs and kisses and pranks, swearing that you're the funniest person and that they had the best time with you?"

"Maybe... who knows," you stated. "But what do you mean you're a corporate case?"

"Well I haven't seen any of that with you!" He spoke, clearly frustrated. "They're all your friends out there: Max, Charles, Carlos, I even think Pierre has a secret crush on you! And with me, every single time I tried to get closer and friendly, you shut me out... I know I may not be your favourite out all of them but at least show me some courtesy and fake some enjoyment about working with me!"

You stayed silent and watched him rant. Then you stood up and sat right next to him. "Oh George... George, George... look at me."

He did, his big blue eyes filled with jealousy and a hint of sadness.

"Are you seriously thinking that you're not my favourite?"

He scoffed. "It's clear I'm not, you made sure I knew from the first day."

You remembered the way you spoke to him on your first encounter a week ago and chuckled. "I'm sorry about that, it had to be done so you'd know how serious this was, and look now, you're fully committed to it!" You smiled. "I have something to confess."

He looked at you and nodded at you to continue.

"I've been a fan of you since you started on Formula 3. I've watched you win that first championship, then followed your career towards Formula 2 and your championship there, and supported you all those three years at Williams until you finally came to a team where you could show your real talent. And boy look what you've done! First one to cut Max's string of championships!"

"Is all that true?" He asked.

"Of course, I have proof of the careers I attended in full Williams gear with the number 63 on my back. A bit embarrassing if I'm honest," you giggled.

"And why did you never mention that?" He said, looking at his hands on his lap, a hint of a smile playing on his lips.

You took a deep breath. "Well, first off, I have to admit I was a bit angry at you for what you were doing, so I went full PR mode... Then, after that first day at the gym and then on the plane with my ripped shirt and all, I realised how easy for me it would be to just cave in and become friends with you. And I couldn't let that happen, we had a job to do and it was mine to save your career in front of the media and the people, I couldn't fail you. So I put some distance between us, even though we had so much fun those three blocks from the club to my flat the other night. Once again, my mind was asking me to open up and just let you be my friend. But George, you must understand that seeing you struggle three years at Williams until you got this seat at Mercedes was hard, and when I got the opportunity to work with you slapping your face to come back to reality, I took it as a personal task even more than a professional one. You deserve this spot, this seat and this champion title and I will do everything to keep that up..."

George just watched you for a while and smiled sheepishly. "That has to be the nicest thing anyone's has ever said to me regarding my career," he said. "I didn't know any of that and I appreciate your support more than anything else you can do right now..."

"I'm sorry I made you feel like I never cared, honestly there's nothing further from the truth..."

"I believe you," he smiled. "Can we change that, now?"

"How?" You chuckled.

"Well, we'll keep it all professional of course, but can we work more lightly now? Be able to joke and work as a team, be... friends?" He asked, hopeful.

You smiled at him. "Of course, I'll work on that and promise not to push you away. Could I do something to compensate this to you?"

He seemed to think about it for a second. "The boys are throwing a small party for us drivers on Sunday after the race, want to come?"

"Isn't that only for drivers?"

"Nah, they're all bringing their girlfriends or friends/family, so we're good."

"Fine, I'll go, if you're ready to see me put those boys in place," you laughed.

"Believe me, I would pay to see that!" He joined the laugh. "Could I ask for one more thing?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"Can we avoid your office for our meetings?"

"Why? What's wrong with it?" You frowned.

"Nothing with your office, it's just that some of your employees look at me like a basket case or a celebrity and there's nothing I hate more than that..." he declared.

You nodded. "Okay then, no more zoo for you... And where do you propose we meet then?"

George shrugged. "What time you stop working?"

"Depends, around 7 or 8 o'clock, sometimes 9 if I have any events with a client, why?"

"Maybe instead of lunch, we can have dinners? I know I have some sim work next week and they're usually around the time I should meet you, so you could leave work around 6? Come over to mine and we can work on the terrace?"

You already thought he was pushing a bit but you agreed anyways, sounded good actually, because it gave you time to work on other stuff and focus on George at the end of the day. "If you think it's a good idea to work at home then yes, I would be on board."

"Then I'm glad, we'll move meetings to dinner!" He grinned.

You watched him and chuckled. "I'm glad to see you relaxed and not so tense like you were earlier."

"Talking stuff works them out in the end," he said with a small smile.

You watched the time. "It's almost time for quali, I will let you focus..." you said as you stood up and extended your hand to him. "Friends hug for good luck?"

George smiled widely and surged forward to hug you tightly. You felt like that hug fit pieces in your life you didn't know were scattered around and chuckled, thinking about how you just agreed to become friends with one of your idols from motorsport.

"Feeling better? I'm sorry again..." you spoke up to him.

"I'm great now, don't you even worry," he moved you from his embrace to look at you. "Now let's get to work, you're getting distracted from it now."

You laughed. "Go get that pole, champ."

"You know it!" He said, giving you a high-five.