28.

Friday morning you went to the office around 11 in the morning after a few other meetings. The secretary was waiting for you with a smile.

"Hi! You have a new potential client waiting for you in your office. Told her you weren't taking any clients nowadays but she insisted she had a proposal for you."

You raised your eyebrows. "Guess I could take a few minutes to hear about it. Did this person tell you their name?"

"Let me check..." she looked at her iPad. "Yes, Carmen Mundt."

You widened your eyes and looked at your assistant. "Did she say anything else about what she wanted?"

"No, sorry, she just said she had a proposal and trusted no one but you to make it happen."

"It's okay, thanks a lot, I'll take it from here," you smiled and went towards your office. You took a deep breath and watched Carmen sitting in your office, playing with her phone, looking gorgeous like always. "Fuck, what in the name of the devil could she want..." you mumbled and got in with a smile.

She stood up and shook your hand. "So nice to see you, thought you wouldn't have time with all the work George mentioned you've been having..."

"Yeah, but when someone insists, we can clear a small schedule for them," you smiled. "How can I help?"

She reclined in her seat. "First of all, I thought you were in the UK! Your colleague working with George said you left."

You looked up at her from your papers. "Oh, did he? Probably thought I already left, won't leave for a few days..." you said, waiting for her to state her business.

"Oh well," she smiled. "Now, I wanted to tell you something, but wait for me to say it all before interrupting, okay?"

"Of course," you said through gritted teeth, already getting impatient with her and the way she thought you were great friends.

"Great, okay," she said and leaned over your desk as if she was going to tell a secret. "George and I are not back together." She left a small pause to wait for your reaction, which was as stoic as possible. "The reason I was at his house was because we agreed beforehand to meet. He just forgot I was going to be there, he told me that himself when he got home from his training session and saw me waiting at his door. The reason I'm in Monaco is because I have some businesses here to take care of. You see, back when I was going out with George, I practically lived here, so I invested in some stuff. Then, we broke up and I left to go back home, leaving my businesses here and just checking on them from home. I came here to sell them and just get my invest back, to take it to Spain. And that took a few days. George called me almost two weeks ago to ask me to take my name off the lease of the flat. I was still there but we didn't have a problem with it, so I asked him why and he told me about you." You nodded, still serious and she continued. "He said he'd met his match, his best friend and that he wanted to do things right. He wanted to properly take you out and then maybe start a good thing. So he wanted me to be out of any papers, to actually let me off those things too. And so I came here, fixed my businesses and met with George. Thing is, that he still doesn't understand why he should've told you I was there. I knew from your face that day that you weren't even thinking of me showing up out of nowhere and that you got all the wrong ideas. I just didn't think it was my place to explain when I didn't know for sure about you..." she smiled and took a breath. "He's desperate. George. He wants to know why you left that day and why were you crying. You know him, he won't assume anything, so he won't come here to explain, he's just there waiting for you to text back or show up and take that guy off him because he hates him," she chuckled. "Poor bloke has nothing to do with this but I understand you."

"You do?" Was all you could muster. "How come?"

"Well, since that day he told me about you, he literally never shut up about it. He told me all about your first meetings, and how you wouldn't budge with your closed off walls, until you finally opened up. And then how he practically spent every single moment with you," she giggled. "I know your whole story and I'm baffled you still haven't done anything about it, but I understand completely how you would prioritise you career and your professionalism, I admire you for it."

"Thank you..." you said.

"Now give yourself some time, and think about that man who is loving you so openly, and he doesn't want to let you go... I wanted you to know that, the truth. If anything, I'm here to let go of him even more than before," she finished with a smile.

You just stayed there for a while, before you swallowed the lump in your throat and smiled. "What made you do this?"

"Seeing him with so much impotence. I asked him if he loved you and he said he did, that he couldn't deny it anymore, even though it was clear in his eyes. And call me crazy, but it was impossible for me to let you live having the wrong idea about what you saw." She shrugged. "Do you love him?"

You chuckled sadly. "Does it matter?"

"Have you not heard a word I spoke the last half an hour? ¡Joder, tía!" She cursed and laughed. "You love each other, go get your boy!"

"You already said it, but yes, I love him..." you smiled sheepishly. "I don't want to let him go, but his image and his career being steady is the most important thing to me..."

"Think, how long do you have left until you're done with his project, for real?" She smirked and she knew you could do more than making excuses.

You groaned. "Order lunch, Carmen, I have work to do and a man to get."

She squealed and immediately ordered lunch.

That's how you flew to England on Saturday evening. You took your work with you so you would instruct your team, who were forewarned about it all.

The plane landed and you went to the car waiting for you, to spend the weekend with your parents and first thing Monday morning, Silverstone race week, you'd show up to St. James' Market at Formula One Group to talk to Stefano.

It was relatively easy, but it was eating you inside not sharing it with George. The week couldn't go by any faster to see him in his race suit, focused and determined.

You giggled loudly while driving to your house. Fuck, being in love made you giddy, yes, but coming to terms with it, expecting George to know it too made your legs feel like jelly and your heart experience the G force he probably felt while driving his car on the track.

You sighed and smiled widely as you kept on your way.