𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬 ²⁰¹⁹

May 2, 2019
JJ's POV

"𝐈 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐮𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥, 𝐧𝐨 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐑𝐨𝐫𝐢 𝐀𝐥𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐞."

I sat on my surfboard in the middle of the blue, ocean water surrounding me

I sat on my surfboard in the middle of the blue, ocean water surrounding me. An pink and orange tint taking over the sky as the sun set behind the clouds. It was the perfect summer day and made all too grateful for the place we call home.

"Jay!" I heard from behind me. I turned my head to meet the small, brunette girl smiling at me as she laid on her stomach on the surf board. "What are you doing?"

"Just takin' it all in." I said in content as I brought my eyes to the aroma around us. I turned back to her and motioned for her to come join me, "Look for yourself."

She smiled and paddled on her surfboard and stopped right next to me. She changed her position to sit like I was. I kept my eyes on her as she looked at the horizon in front of us. The orange coloring taking over the gleam in her eyes, and coating her sun kissed skin.

"It's beautiful." She said softly. I small smile took over my lips as I continued to watch how effortlessly stunning the girl beside me was. The delicate breeze hitting her just enough to make her long, dark hair move with it. The light from the setting sun defining every detail in her features, making her burnt cheeks redder, the freckles on her nose multiply, the creases around her mouth from every time she smiled more pronounced, and her eyes showing a hint of green.

She was the most gorgeous girl I had laid eyes upon, without a doubt.

"You're beautiful." I said the words before I could even stop them. She turned her head with furrowed eyebrows and an amused smile dancing on her lips. My mouth went agape and my eyes widened.

"I didn't uh-" I tried to backtrack my statement but I heard her giggle which made me not regret what I said at all.

"Its okay." She said simply, giving me a reassuring smile, "Besides, you definitely weren't lying." She cockily said, throwing a piece of her hair behind her.

I shook my head and poked my tongue to my cheek as I watched her intently. She continued to laugh and it made my heart race just at how lucky I was to even witness this side of Rori.

Around everyone else, besides the Pogues, she was brutal. She was mean and would say cruel things to get under your skin. Her undeniable snark and wit made others steer clear of her, but made me all too attracted to her. She was bad ass for all the right reasons. And on top of all of that, she was hot. She was a hot, bad ass who got shit done. And I was the fool that was falling for her.

But I'm falling for all the right reasons. I saw a side of Rori she typically rarely showed. If anyone else told her she was beautiful the way I just did, she would make some witty comment about how you should tell her something she doesn't know and than go on and make fun of you for saying it. Yet with me, she wasn't ashamed and she wasn't upset about me saying it to her.

She finally saw the lovestruck look on my face and rolled her eyes with a small smile on her face, "Stop looking at me."

"I can't." I said in a soft voice, causing her to smile at my words.

She scoffed, playfully, and pushed me on my shoulder, just enough to make me fall off my board. My warm skin hit the cool water before I could even process what was happening.

I shot out of the water immediately after falling into it to see Rori Aldine dying laughing on top of her surfboard. I was a little pissed about being soaked after just drying off, but seeing the smile on her face made it all worth it.

"I didn't actually expect that to work!" She said through her light giggles.

"Really?" I quirked at her, a smile tugging at my lips. "I didn't expect this to work either."

Her face fell immediately, "Wha-"

I put my hand underneath her board and flipped her over in the span of a second. A proud grin took over my lips as I watched her flip and flail through the blue salt water.

She shot up, a scowl written across her face. Her lips were pursed so hard they looked like they would snap. Her eyebrows furrowed so deeply and her eyes narrowed into slits.

"I hate you." She spat, yet I could see the smirk that was threatening to show on her perfect, pink lips.

"And I love you." I said, putting my elbows on top of my surfboard as I leant against it flashing her a pleased smile.

I was pleased. Pleased with the day, the scenery, the weather, the conversation, the vibe, and the girl. Especially the girl.

"When you actually love me, than tell me." She said in a breathy tone as she mirrored my motions against my board, ditching hers behind her but keeping the leash wrapped around her ankle.

"I d-" I was about to spit out whats been brewing in my 15 year old, adolescent mind, but I didn't want to scare Rori. I knew about her past and love was a serious thing to her. The three words, 'I love you,' were the words that meant the most to her. She had never heard it from anyone besides Big John and probably John B, but having someone say it to her outside of blood was rare. "I will. I promise you I will, A."

She looked stunned at my words. Her eyes held soft gaze in her eyes and looked glossed. She nodded her head hesitantly and then seemed like she actually processed what I said. She confidently nodded again at my words and smiled, "Okay."

I could still see the hesitation in her eyes, like she didn't believe my words. Her eyes now held a sad gaze, tears welling in her eyes.

I softly smiled at her and held up my pinky finger, "I promise one day, I will actually, for real, no bullshit, love you Rori Aldine."

She gave me a weird look, "I heard you the first time."

I stifled a laugh and leaned towards her on the board, "Just... go with it."

She let out a laugh and rolled her eyes. She brought her pinky to mine and wrapped it around mine tightly. Our eyes held contact and I could see the reassurance in her gaze. She was pleased too. I knew she was.

"And I promise I'll actually, for real, no bullshit, love you too, JJ Maybank."