9.

When I walked in, Kev's assistant, Marcus, was sitting on the couch with his computer on his lap while the boss himself was smoking a cigarette, sitting down behind the mixing desk.

Kev turned to face me with a stoic expression. "Let's move along to the second song, you're practiced this one enough."

I nodded without a word before making my way to the drum set. "We'll be doing 'Change' by the Deftones, is that okay ?" He asked, his voice emotionless.

"Okay. Do you have the notation sheets for it ?" I grabbed the papers he handed me and sat back. In a fraction of the second, I was already beating the drums with focus and loose arms. The last part was pretty complicated but I managed to get it perfectly right.

"Good. Two more songs and we'll hit the road." Kev spoke into the microphone and I raised a satisfied thumb up. It was already two in the afternoon and we were supposed to be at the designated music theatre at six. This was going to be tiring... but worth it.

• ☆ . ° .• °:. *₊° .☆. ☆ . ° .• °:.*₊° .☆

The drive to the competition's location was quiet. But not the good type of quiet, more like some unspoken business needed to be out in the open.

The sudden mood swings of Kev made me really question my trauma. Why would his anger have so much affect on me when I clearly didn't care about his opinions of me ?

He isn't your dad, grow the fuck up.

I sighed, grabbing my headset and putting my music on, to try and quiet my thoughts.

Crystal Castles isn't going to shut the voices, you stupid shit.

My phone binged and I grabbed the device to check the notifications.

I smiled at the text messages, assuming that the unknown number was Bryce's, the boy from earlier

I smiled at the text messages, assuming that the unknown number was Bryce's, the boy from earlier. He was a bit too clingy but seemed cool. I was really looking forward to getting to know him more.

After a few minutes, we finally parked in front of the music theatre and Kev grabbed our bags, walking in as I followed behind him.

We didn't pass by the central space where thousands of chairs were aligned, surrounding the stage. We turned in the corridors to get to our backstage room.

I kept a stoic expression as I walked beside my producer, trying as hard as I could to convince him this silent treatment wasn't bothering me. But, deep down, I was feeling a bit sad that we had this kind of interaction on my big day.

We had both worked so hard to prepare for today's show and my heart ached as I saw the unbothered gaze he had kept ever since we left the studio.

The backstage room did lighten my mood, it looked gorgeous. There was a red comfy couch on the right and a large makeup vanity with big cliché light bulbs on the mirror taking up the left side of the room.