34.

Back to Mars's pov

I sipped from my black coffee, a cigarette in hand.

It was Wednesday and I was almost done with my classes. I only had an adult lesson for two more hours and I was finally done with my shift.

Rachel was redoing her lipstick while I fumbled with my phone moodily. "Fuck, I tried to get the hickey covered up but it's still there." The redhead examined the purple mark on her neck with her phone.

"It's alright, put some ice on it and it'll go away in less than a day." I mumbled carelessly.

My coworker sighed, shoving her stuff in her little bag and standing up. "You know, you shouldn't drink coffee at this hour, it's almost seven in the evening."

I grimaced. "What ?" Why was she talking to me ? I thought she was smart enough to know that we weren't particularly friends.

"Most medical experts agree that it's best to cut off your coffee intake around 2 or 3 p.m." she pursed her lips and crossed her arms.

I smiled humourlessly. "Really ? That's funny cause I don't really give one fuck about your fun statement, Rachel."

She furrowed her eyebrows, not knowing what to respond, then she left the break room, leaving me alone to my thoughts.

I crashed the cigarette butt into the ashtray and exited the room to my classes.

• ☆ . ° .• °:. *₊° .☆ • ☆ . ° .• °:. *₊° .☆.

I sat down on the squeaky plastic chair like the police guard explained. It was the first time I came to visit my brother in person at his facility. I was dreading this moment ever since he got incarcerated and, when I saw him walk up to his side of the compartment, my heart ached at the sight.

His beard was more prominent. He had a lot more acne than he used to and he looked like he needed a shower and a toothbrush.

"Stop looking at me like that, makes me feel like shit." He spoke into the phone.

"Cause you look like shit." I clenched my jaw.

"Missed you too, sis." He grinned weakly and I grimaced as I saw some of his teeth were broken.

"You're getting in fights ?" I asked.

"I'm trying to make it out alive until they finally understand I'm not fucking guilty." He snickered.

"They're not listening to us, you can just spit it out. I know you did it, Arlo." I tightened my hold on the phone. "Stop getting into fights and just be discreet."

He rolled his eyes. "It's not like my gang is really liked by people in here. They hate us and, now, I have to pay for the consequences."

"You call yourselves a gang ? You guys look like children playing dress-up in the streets and feeding off the attention. Now that I think about it, you probably belong here." I spat.

Arlo's face darkened and he landed a hard punch on the glass wall separating us two. I flinched in fear as guards urged up to the man, holding his arms and punishing him for his attempt of attack. "FUCK YOU, MARS !"

Well, that went great...

I stood up from my chair in fear. My brother was struggling to get off their emprise but their hold on him was too strong.

I watched with horrified eyes as Arlo fought like an animal for deliverance.

What has he become ?

I left the visiting facility and walked away from the prison building with a lump in my throat.

Fuck, that was clearly the first and the last time I visit my brother.