2

Despite all my complaining, mum was right: college really wasn't that bad. Although I had no friends from my own classes, when our schedules aligned, the occasional catch up with the girls over lunch or on the walk home, made all the difference. Considering all my fears and concerns, my first week back had gone by without a hitch.

On Friday, as I make my way out the classroom and towards the gate, a weight hits me in my back and shoulders as Leila launches onto me.

"Fucking hell!" I shout as I stumble forwards. She laughs and she drops down. "Mate! I've got the best news! We've been invited to a party!"

I roll my eyes and pull my phone out of my pocket to check for notifications. "Ha! Sure, we have."

"We have!" Leila persists, shoving me lightly. "This boy in my class - Mark something-or-other is having a party tonight and he said to come and 'bring your mates, innit.'" She squeals with excitement and waits for my response. I say nothing but give her my best 'no fucking way' look.

"Oh, come on, we have to go! It's the first party since you moved back to town... we haven't been to one together since Luke Mitchell's ninth birthday party at the trampoline park!"

I giggle a little at the thought.

"Plus," she shares, "he's pretty cute. He might have some hot friends. And it could be fun... come on, live a little!"

I groan. "I mean, it sounds terrific and all, but I was planning on watching that new Tom Hardy movie."

Leila looks at me in horror and then slaps me on the arm. "Ouch... bitch." I exclaim.

"Hol, we've been invited to an actual party, with actual lads! Old Tommy boy can wait!"

I laugh at her candid response, link my arm in hers and surrender. "Fine! But you owe me."

She squeals again and I place my hand over my left ear, feigning pain.

"So where is this bloody party?" I ask, as we make our way through the alleyway opposite the back gates.

"Barnet. He gave me the address and everything."

Flustered and overwhelmed by the sudden plans, I groan, "So how are we getting there and back?"

"Erm, the bus? Anyway, that's not important.What's important is what we're going to wear!"

•••

Back at home, I collapse onto my bed in dramatic fashion and contemplate tonight's party. It's the first time I've been invited to socialise with people from my new college and my stomach churned nervously.

With the need to sort out my outfit for the evening, I hop up and rifle through my wardrobe. My usual attire consisted of jeans and t-shirts, which, let's face it: didn't exactly scream party. Cursing my forever tomboy vibes, I was almost ready to call the whole thing off, when I remembered the black skirt, the one I'd worn to Nan's funeral. The thigh-length box pleats could work with my biker boots.

After showering, I let my long chestnut brown hair dry naturally, leaving the long beach waves to cascade down my back. Struggling to find something to match the skirt, I give up and pull on a faded grey t-shirt and my trusty black bomber jacket. Feeling the rock chick vibe, I create a smoky kohl eye and finish it off with some mascara. It'll have to do.

At 7:30, Leila knocks, looking a knockout in a form fitting green dress, that skimmed her thighs and made her look like a model. The opposite of my tall and curvy frame, Leila's petit and thin figure looks great in everything.

"Wow, Leila, you look amazing." I share.

"Cheers mate, you look great too! Your make-up is perfect - your eyes look almost golden." I turn to face the mirror and blush. Grabbing my bag, I offer her thanks and we head off into the night.