14

After the Christmas party I decide to take some time to sort myself out. The girls were sweet, calling and sending regular texts to check in with me, but I'd kept my responses short and light. On Christmas Eve, Carly invited me out for a few drinks with the gang but, at the risk of seeing Ben, I turned them down. However, on New Year's Eve, Leila creates a new group chat: "Where are we going?"

Leila

Right girls, Mark is away visiting some family up North and I refuse to be alone and lonely on NYE. We HAVE to go out. This is our last one before we go off to uni and we need to get fucked up!

Molly

Hell yeah! I say we go to London

Carly

Where are you thinking?

Sarah

What about Camden? It's an easy commute and full of hotties

Kelly

Yes! Electric Ballroom?

Leila

I'm up for it! Holly?

I read the messages and sigh. I know that Leila's right – we need to do something. I can't continue to spend my time at home, pining over a relationship that couldn't even get off the ground. At the risk of spending the evening in with my parents, I reply:

Holly

Let's do it – I'm so over this year!

Sarah

You never know, you might find a hot guy to start off the NY with!

***

We agree to meet on the bus, but instead of heading to a pub in Barnet, we choose to have our pre-drinks in a bar in Camden instead. A night out with friends without the reminder of Ben or the fear he might crash is exactly what I need.

On New Year's Eve, I opt for skinny jeans, pumps, a glittery vest and leather jacket. For hair and make-up, I go for natural waves, winged liner and a blood red lip.

Finally, I add a black scarf for warmth. Feeling comfortable, I head out to the bus stop to meet Carly. When it arrives, we climb up the stairs and are surprised to see the others sitting with James.

"Ladies!" He says, joyfully and we giggle and wave.

"How are you doing, James?" asks Carly, looking super pleased to have run into him.

"I'm good - just heading to Pete's. Where are you all off to?" He asks, inquisitively.

"Electric Ballroom" answers Carly, then immediately looks back to me to make sure it was ok to share. I shrug.

"Cool..." he says, looking a little awkward.

"Have you got any New Year's plans this evening?" Asks Leila and I suspect she's asking to glean information about Ben.

"Erm... nothing concrete." He answers but doesn't meet her gaze.

The conversation becomes a little stilted and when we get off the bus, Molly asks, "did anyone else feel like James was being weird?" We nod in agreement.

"He's always weird." replies Sarah, walking on in front and I can't help but look at Carly to see her smile deflate a little.

On the tube, we're surrounded by people making their way into London, already well into the festive spirit. We laugh as a group of boys a little further down the carriage, sing songs that has everyone singing right along with them. The journey is short and before we know it, we're on the escalators at Camden Station and out into the cold. We head straight to a dingy bar that Kelly's heard good things about.