47

After taking a walk around a couple of churches, we head to the local Tesco Express for some snacks and drinks and walk back to the hotel.

"What did you bring to wear tonight?" Asks Leila, pouring us a couple of glasses of wine into the little bathroom glasses.

"I wasn't sure what to wear, so I went casual with a plain white t-shirt, skinny jeans and blazer–"

"Very Mary Kate Olsen of you..." Leila remarks and I narrow my eyes at her.

"Or this cottagecore mini dress..." I say, pulling the item out of my bag.

"Yes! That one! I love the corset detail... with tights?"

"Yes, and shoe boots. What are you wearing?"

Leila's eye light up and she rushes over to her bag. "This!" she says, brandishing a green high-necked midi dress. It's gorgeous and will look incredible on her.

"Wow, Lei, it's perfect. Pete is going to fall over himself!" I say and she grins.

"Good!"

We take it in turns to shower and then Leila sets to work to tame my unruly hair. She puts curling cream throughout and then scrunches it. After starting the base of my make-up, she uses her diffuser attachment to turn my scraggly waves into defined curls. It looks amazing and she stands back to admire her work. She's got her hair in rollers and, after blow drying them lightly, she leaves them in to start on her own make-up.

"Smoky eye, nude lip" she says, as she puts her foundation on.

"Huh?" I asked, confused.

"That's what you need to do... it'll look perfect."

I nod and make my way to my wine to take a sip. Realising I haven't checked my phone in a while, I decide to have a little scroll.

Flicking on the screen, I see a missed call and a text from Ben,

Be careful tonight x

I know that he's likely worrying about the thought of us going to the Railway Tavern, so I text back.

I will, you too... love you x

Hoping that'll set his mind at ease, I get to work on my make-up. When I've finished, Leila gushes. "You look incredible – that make up always makes your eyes look so striking Holly."

I blush a little. "Thank you, your make up is perfect too." She's gone for classic winged liner and red lip. When she removes her rollers, her hair falls into a perfect 1950s coifed curls. We put on our outfits and celebrate with another drink.

"Oh, fuck! I haven't asked where they're going!" Leila says, exasperated.

"Don't worry, just give him a call or text now..."

She nods and rushes over to her phone and types out a quick text. A few minutes later, her phone beeps. "Crap... he said they 'might' be going to a place called The Fleece."

"OK, let me look it up..." I grab my phone and type the name in.

"Hmm... it's not too far from here, it looks pretty cool. We'll head there then."

Leila starts to pace. "What if they don't end up there? We'll be waiting for nothing."

I can't help but giggle. "Calm down Leila, we'll figure it out. Have another wine... worst case scenario, they don't head there, and we have to call to find out where they are a little later."

Leila nods and exhales. "OK, I can do that..." She walks over to the table and tops off her glass before shaking it in my direction. I smile and hold my glass out towards her. Having now finished off our first bottle of wine, we're feeling pretty merry.