43

That evening, I contemplate what to wear to the band night with Shaun and whether or not to dress like it's a date. With Ben still plaguing my thoughts, I decide against it and go for a white t-shirt, stonewashed boyfriend jeans, vans and leave my hair down. With my simple outfit, I go for just a little make-up and just apply some winged liner and lip balm.

I grab my satchel bag, stuff my bomber jacket into it, and make my way to the bus stop.

As I wait for it to arrive, I call Leila.

"Hey Hols, are you ready for your date?"

"It's not a date! And I'm having second thoughts... should I really be doing this?"

"Why are you so nervous if it's not a date?"

"Because! It feels like I'm closing the door on Ben or something."

"Holly, you're doing the right thing here. He can't expect you to just wait for him to sort his shit out."

"That's what I pretty much told him earlier."

"Wait, back up, you spoke to him? I need details!"

"He was waiting outside uni for me. He asked if I was jealous and then got angry at me for having plans with Shaun. Then asked me not to give up on him."

"Whoa, what a strange conversation. What does 'don't give up on him' mean?"

"I don't know, he keeps saying it to me... I'm starting to wonder if he just enjoys having someone to toy with..."

"Or maybe he's had people he loves giving up on him before and he doesn't want to lose you too?"

"Oh Lei, why do you have to say these things to me?" I say, heart aching at the thought.

"Sorry! It's the first place my mind jumped to!"

I chew at my lip for a moment in silent contemplation.

Leila clears her throat. "Look, regardless, he's with Lizzi. You're allowed to go out on a non-date with someone. He shouldn't make you feel like you can't." I nod.

"Holly?"

"Sorry, I'm nodding... you're right. I'm gonna go, what's the worst that can happen?"

"Well, when it comes to your love life, anything's possible!" she jokes and I can't help but laugh.

"Right, I can see the bus – chat to you later."

"Bye!"

•••

When I get off the bus, I can already see Shaun waiting outside. The butterflies swirl in my stomach and I'm unsure if it's because of Ben or whether I actually like this guy. I continue walking towards him and as I near, he looks up from his phone and grins.

"Hey!" I say warmly.

"Wow, you look incredible" he says, bringing me in for a kiss on the cheek. I blush.

He's still got green hair, but it's a lot messier tonight and resting one side, showing off the skin fade underneath. He's wearing another pair of ridiculously tight skinny jeans, converse, and a faded grey t-shirt. Effortless, but very attractive.

"Thank you, so do you."

"Thanks – shall we?"

I nod and he opens the door to let me inside and together, we walk straight to the bar.

"Thanks so much for coming tonight, I expected you to say no to be honest, so I was very happy when you agreed to join me."

"Aww, well thanks for inviting me. I didn't even know this pub existed until recently, and I do love band nights."