12

When Monday rolls around, I start getting nervous about how Ben might react at college. I go downstairs for breakfast and my mum has gone all out this morning. Two large '18' balloons are sat on the countertop, along with a couple of presents, a few cards and a plate of pancakes.

"Happy birthday!" she says chirpily, as I walk through the door and take a seat at the island.

"Thanks!" I reply. She hands over a cup of coffee and I take no time to take a sip. She slides across the pancakes, and I take a few mouthfuls. They're full of chocolate chips – delicious but doesn't feel like a proper breakfast. Give me marmite on toast any day.

As I fill my bag and get ready to leave, I receive a text.

Happy birthday. Can I give you a lift? x

Surprised, I type out a response – obviously a yes, and quickly grab my things. When I head out the door, I see Ben already waiting in his car, some aggressive punk song blaring through the speakers.

"Happy birthday, tiger." He says as I climb into the passenger seat. He turns down the music and kisses me sweetly on the lips.

"Thanks... this is very unexpected."

"I thought you'd like the surprise?" He asks, smiling.

"I do! I usually walk with Carly - can she join us?"

"Sure thing - shall we pick her up?"

"She will LOVE that, let me text her."

Carly, relieved that she doesn't have to walk, bites my hand off at the invitation, so we drive down to meet her at her house. When she opens the door, her eyes widen as she sees who's driving.

"Ben?! I thought when Holly said lift it'd be her dad!" she says, as she climbs in the back.

Ben laughs and she gasps.

"Oh my God! Happy birthday!" she says, remembering the day.

"Thanks mate."

We make idle chit chat, and I can feel Carly's eyes burning into my back the entire time. Once parked up, we exit the car and Ben wraps his arm around my shoulders. As we start walking, Carly looks as if her eyes are about to pop out of her head.

When we reach the canteen, he kisses me on the head and walks over to James and Mark. We continue walking until we're out of earshot and then Carly shrieks, "Tell me EVERYTHING!" I laugh, and explain what happened over the weekend, without going into too many details.

"Shit! This is incredible news! I didn't even know that you were... I mean, what about Pete?!"

"We're just friends... and this thing with Ben, I don't really know what it is... there's no status or anything."

"Sure, sure." She says, trying to keep her cool but failing miserably.

Later at lunch, Carly relishes in telling Leila, Sarah, Kelly and Molly about our unexpected chauffeur this morning.

"Wow! This is amazing! So, are you like 'together'?" Kelly asks, leaning in.

"No... we're just hanging out; we haven't really labelled it." I try and keep my tone light, but if I'm honest, the unspoken nature of our relationship is bothering me.

After the grilling from the girls, I make my way to the smoking area and sure enough, Ben is there. He's more tactile than usual, rubbing my arms and brushing a stray strand of hair from my face, as he talks about his day. His relaxed attitude is comforting.

"I haven't stopped thinking about Saturday" he shares, flicking his cigarette to the floor.

"Me either." I respond, smiling.