6

The next morning, I call Leila and agree to meet at the gates near the front of the park, which is a short walk from both of our houses. Ben's message is still invading my thoughts as I get ready. Why didn't he reply? Was he hoping to do something together instead?

I groan. Men are so confusing. Trying to push all thoughts of him out of my head, I decide on an outfit for the skate park. I bought some great new outfits during yesterday's shopping excursion but since we're just off to the park, and this isn't a date, I opt to keep it casual with converse, stonewashed boyfriend jeans, and a simple white t-shirt. The jeans sit perfectly on my hips, highlighting my curves. To dress up the outfit, I add a belt and take a little more time and effort with my make-up, settling on smoky kohl-lined eyes, mascara, and some lip balm, leaving my long hair down.

On the walk to the park, I think about Pete. With his messy blonde hair, chiselled features, and big blue eyes, he wouldn't look out of place on the Fendi stage at Fashion Week. I definitely find him attractive; I like that he's confident and we have a lot in common, which is great. But Ben is consuming my mind. I'm surprised by the intensity of my feelings – it's not something I've experienced before. Especially since I don't really know him. I've had crushes before, and I've certainly had boyfriends, but this feels... different. And I'm not sure I like feeling so out of control.

Leila arrives a few minutes after me, looking great in jeans and a short vest and hoody, showing off a strip of her lean stomach. When we arrive, the skate park is pretty empty, except for a few young children and their parents. Mark joins us about 10 minutes later and he and Leila take themselves off to one of the "fun boxes" for a chat. Alone and bored, I decide to listen to some music.

A gentle tap breaks me out of my Foo Fighters coma, and I look up to see Pete standing in front of me. Smiling, I hit pause and remove my headphones.

"Hey!" I say, surprised by my own excitement to see him.

"Hey Holly, I hope I didn't disturb you?" He's dressed in a pair of ripped blue jeans, trainers, and a red t-shirt, gripping a skateboard in one hand and what looks to be a coffee in the other. He looks really good, and my mouth dries a little at the thought.

I shake my head. "No, you're ok."

I scoot along the bench to give him enough room to sit. "Thanks. I hope you've not been waiting long. Feeling a little worse for wear today - the drinks got a bit out of hand last night."

"Ah, hence the giant coffee." I reply, nodding to the large cup. He grins.

"Absolutely. So, are you ready for your first skateboarding lesson today?" He takes a sip of his drink, and my eyes widen in fear.

"Lesson?! No one said I'd have to do it!"

Pete laughs and runs his hand through his hair. "Just kidding! Unless you decide you want to have a go later."

I run the back of my head across my brow to suggest relief and he laughs. Taking another sip of coffee from the cup, he places it down next to me, along with his keys, phone, and cigarettes. I glance down at the packet and, noticing me looking, says "Help yourself."

I blush. I really need to start buying my own. He stands, board in hand and I watch him head over to the run.

Feeling comfortable, I take a sip of his coffee and then a cigarette from the packet. Once lit, I put my headphones back in and watch Pete as he makes his way around the banks. He artfully carves around the different elements and starts to flip and grind along the way. It's pretty impressive. I look around to spy Leila or Mark, but they're nowhere to be seen.

Scrolling through my music library, I decide on The Kid Laroi and, as s I finish the last of my cigarette, I feel a presence to the right of me. I turn quickly, assuming it's Leila and Mark but instead, find Ben sat beside me. I quickly remove my headphones.