24

At 6:30am after a fitful sleep, I wake up with a hangover and an aching heart. I roll over to the shabby chic bedside table to turn my phone on and decide against it. Instead, I shower and pack my things. Selecting my comfortable black and white knitted jumper and some blue jeans, I pull my damp hair into a plait and apply some mascara and lip balm. I also add my sunglasses to the top of my head, to help with the blinding sunlight and my ever-increasing hangover. Ready to face the day, I make my way down the creaking staircase, bags in tow, to the breakfast room.

Walking through the door, I spy Keaton looking bright-eyed and reading the morning newspaper.

"Good morning" I croak, dropping my bags to the floor and taking a seat.

"Morning... how are you feeling?" He says, upturning a cup from its saucer and pouring coffee from a large cafetière. He slides the delicate duo over to me and I quickly empty a sachet of sugar into it and take a sip before responding.

"I'm good, thank you."

"Glad to hear it. Are you up for breakfast or..."

I nod my head tenderly. "Toast would be amazing."

"I'm on it!" he replies, standing to the table and walking through the door to the left, to where I assume is the kitchen.

I take a few more sips of the delicious black coffee, summoning the courage to turn my phone back on. As the phone springs to life, my heart sinks as no notifications appear onscreen.

Keaton walks through the door holding a plate with freshly cooked toast, another with fresh fruit and a basket of preserves and butters hooked over his wrist. He places it all on the table and sits back down again.

"This looks amazing, thank you. I'll make sure to thank your mum before we leave." I grab a piece of toast, smother it in butter and marmalade, and waste no time in eating it. By the time I've finished my toast and followed it with some melon, strawberries, raspberries, and another cup of coffee, I feel alive again.

"That was delicious - I feel so much better."

"I'm glad." says Keaton, gathering the plates.

"Please, let me help you." I say, standing and gathering items together.

"Holly, you're the guest! Sit down - I won't be a minute and then we can make a move." I nod lightly and do as he says.

When Keaton returns once more from the kitchen, he is followed by the lovely woman who greeted me on my first day. "Good morning!" she says brightly, her dark hair peppered with striking white stripes. She has the same kind but intense eyes as Keaton, which immediately makes me feel at home.

"Good morning!" I say, returning her bright demeanour. "Thank you so much for having me. The breakfast was delicious!"

"I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. I'm afraid I can't take credit for the breakfast - that was all Keaton." Keaton shifts a little and shrugs. "Ah it was nothing! Now if you'd have asked for a full English, that would be mum - she's the best."

"I'll remember that for next time," I say, smiling.

Keaton's mum looks between the two of us and smiles. "Keaton says he's taking you home today?" She asks politely.

"Oh, just to his uni - I can make my way home from there, easily."

"It's no bother driving you all the way, honestly." he says, picking up his backpack from the floor.

"Thank you, but you've already been kind enough." I say, turning to face Keaton's mum. "Thank you again..."

"It's Christine" she says, holding her hand out to shake mine.