49

After we drop Leila and James home, we continue onto Ben's house. When he's finished parking, I turn to face him.

"I'm nervous..." I admit.

"You don't have anything to worry about... she will love you because I love you, ok?"

I exhale deeply and nod. "Come on, baby, let's do this."

We exit the car, and he walks round to my side to pull my hand into his. Together, we make our way to the door, and he puts his keys in the door.

"Mum?" he calls as the door swings open.

"Ben!" his mum replies cheerfully, "How was Bristol?" As she walks out the kitchen she stops in her tracks and smiles brightly.

"Oh, hello! You must be Holly!" she says and sweeps me into a hug. It's so friendly and I feel relaxed in her company straight away.

"Hi, yes! It's so nice to meet you –"

"Gemma. So nice to finally meet you too." I smile brightly.

"Let me get you both a drink," she says, walking back into the kitchen.

Ben squeezes my hand and when I look up at him, he looks so happy that I feel a little emotional.

"What can I get you Holly?" Gemma asks, opening the fridge.

"Anything cold would be amazing."

"Diet coke?"

"Perfect, thank you." She pulls the can out of the fridge and decants it into a glass before handing it over.

"What can I get you, honey?" she asks, Ben.

"Same please, mum."

She fills another glass and passes it to Ben.

"So go on, how was Bristol?" she asks, as she peels potatoes.

"It was good, great... Holly surprised me with a visit last night, actually."

"Aww, that's so sweet... you two!" she gushes, and I laugh.

"So, Holly, tell me about yourself – Ben doesn't like to share too much. But I've managed to get your name and that you were at college together and now uni, right?"

"That's right. We met at college last year and have sort of been friends ever since."

Ben leans into me. "It's ok, she knows you're my girlfriend." he says, and I can't help but look at him confused. His candid words are officially freaking me out. Also, the girlfriend situation is very new, so when did she find out?

"So, you two have been together for a while then..." Gemma continues, and I'm not sure how to answer it.

"It's been... quite an interesting year," I admit, "but we're doing well now."

"Well, I'm glad. I know he's not the easiest..."

"Mother..." Ben warns, and I giggle.

"No, you know what I mean, right Holly?"

"Oh yes, absolutely."

"So, what, you're ganging up on me now?" he says light-heartedly, reaching round his mum to steal a piece of chopped carrot. She raps him over the knuckles.

"Oi, you!"

"What do you do Gemma?" I ask, steering the conversation.

"I work in Engineering Design for a retailer."

"Oh, wow... that sounds fascinating."

"Yeah, I like it... Been doing it for about 15 years."

"And what does that entail, if you don't mind me asking?"