42

Later that night, as I'm completing some uni work, I get a text from Pete.

I don't know what you said, but he finally got in touch. He sounds rough. Told him to come to Bristol this weekend and he said he'd think about it.

That's great news, Pete, I hope he agrees to come. Look, I know this was my idea, but I don't think I should come. You're better off doing it without me.

Yeah, he mentioned you'd had a fight... are you ok?

I'll be fine, thanks

I sigh and drop my phone onto the desk. My plan isn't going the way I hoped, and I feel silly for thinking it'd be smooth sailing. I'm also saddened by his attachment to Lizzi so soon... I'm hoping it's the drugs, but what if it's not? What if he's falling for her? As I try to shake the thoughts from my head, my phone vibrates again. Except this time, it's Shaun.

Hey! Bit of a random one, but there's a great band playing tomorrow night at the Butchers, do you want to come with me? x

I take some time to think his question over. I know it was said in an argument, but why should he be the only one going out with other people, whilst I sit here miserable, hoping he might come back to me? Maybe it'll give him the incentive to sort himself out. Without another thought, I reply.

I'd love to. What time?

Meet you outside at 7?

Perfect. See you then.

***

The next morning on the way to uni, I call Leila to fill her in on yesterday's events.

"So, are you going on a date with Shaun?" She asks loudly, as her train pulls into the station.

"Yeah, but it's not really a date. Even if it was, which it isn't, I'm entitled to, right? I'm single, even if I am in love with someone else."

"Oh mate..." Leila says, sadly.

"It's fine. Are you excited to go to Bristol this weekend?" I ask, hoping to steer the conversation away.

"I guess... I mean, if you're not going, I wonder whether I should leave it too, let it be a real boys weekend."

"Sorry Lei, my stupid fucking plans have hijacked your weekend."

"Not at all! This stuff is way more important... I just don't want to be the only girl, you know? Ooh, just got a text from Pete... You did it! Ben's going to Bristol!"

"Yay for me," I say sarcastically. "Hopefully the boys can help him to see sense."

"Fingers crossed. Right, I'm almost at my stop - I'll talk to you later and if I don't talk to you before, enjoy your date!"

"It's not a -"

She hangs up before I can a chance to finish. Mind reeling, I plug in my headphones and listen to The Used, which only makes me think of Ben. Great, he's ruined my favourite band for me. Angry, I settle on AC/DC instead.

As I approach the gates, I see Ben waiting for me with his hood up. I roll my eyes and remove my headphones.

"Can we talk?" he asks, sheepishly and I nod. "What was that about yesterday?"

"You're asking me?" I reply hotly.

"Yeah... I am. You were clearly upset." He says, keeping his tone level.

"Because I was trying to be a good friend and you said I was just jealous!"

"Are you jealous?" he asks, pulling his hood down.

I roll my eyes but decide to keep it truthful. "Honestly, yeah, a little... but mostly I'm just hurt and worried for you. Look, I won't get involved any more. You and Lizzi can continue to enjoy getting off your faces and refusing to deal with your problems."

I go to walk away but he puts his arm out to stop me. "Don't be like that," he says, looking pained.

"You're not giving me any other choice here, Ben. What do you want me to do?"

He sighs. "I don't want you to give up on me..."

"You keep saying that! But why not? You gave up on yourself." I reply sadly and push his arm out the way.

"Hey, I'm trying here... you must see that!"

I shrug and he sighs.

"Can I see you tonight?"

"I can't, I've got plans." I reply shortly.

"With?"

My throat immediately goes dry, and I see his reaction switch up.

"Are you fucking kidding me, Holly? Why are you seeing him? You gave me a month!" he says, tone low but anger clear.

"You're having fun, why can't I? I gave you a month to sort yourself out, not mess me around. I'm not just going to sit around hoping you'll pick me, when there are other people out there who already have."

I don't wait for his response before walking on to class, biting on my lip to stop the tears from falling.